on 31 July 2001
This book provides an excellent background to the derevation of Swahili as a written language having been a spoken language for generations. There are some excellent phrases for everyday greetings, shopping and a detailed section on the grammatical intricacies for those who strive continuously to improve their swahili. However quite a lot of the phrases are irrelevant. If one needs to ask for an air-conditioned room or car rental in Swahili, then it is likely that one is in a part of East Africa where these services are unavailable. There is an easy to use English-Swahili and Swahili-English dictionary. Finally this book includes some of the latest slang terms, which are good fun to use and really impress the locals.
33 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2009
Not at all what I expected, much much better, I am in close contact with a Kenyan family so this book with all its details will prevent me making language and social mistakes. Since receiving book have learnt a little swahili to be able to translate. Excellent.
on 19 March 2011
Compact and comprehensive phrase book which also contains interesting facts, cultural information and language guidance should you wish to advance your knowledge. A must for your rucksack if travelling in East Africa.
on 2 September 2014
Absolute rubbish. Doesn't give you any idea of how what you are saying really translates. A lot of the phrases will raise blank looks in Swahili speaking countries though some of the vocabulary will be useful. I can't recommend this book to anyone that wants more than a few simple words in Swahili. Wilson's "Simplified Swahili" is a weightier text but really gives a good grounding in useful Swahili and provided me with the basis to advance to intermediate/conversational level within a matter of weeks.
on 13 April 2013
The reviews about this product suggested strongly it was worth trying for my stay in Tanzania this year. It is small enough to slip into small bags or even a pocket and it seems well made although I immediately covered it in sticky backed plastic for even greater protection. It is well structured with topics covering most areas. The explanations of how the words and phrases are put together are clear and pronunciation guides helpful. Very helpful also are the brief comments about life and customs to be aware of. Very pleased I bought this book and recommend it, particularly at the price I paid via Amazon.
on 10 September 2010
If you are taking a safari or beach hotel in East Africa this is a compact useful guide to allow you
a couple of local words/phrases to try out in Kiswahili. Don't expect grammar tables etc as it is aimed at the tourist
but it is accessible, lightweight and quite colourful!
on 19 July 2011
A great little book. Fitted easily into the side pocket of a rucksack (or handbag). Vital poiltenesses inside front cover made for quick and easy reference. Well set out with a wealth of info and detail that I wasn't in East africa long enough to get to grips with. We enjoyed speaking a few simple words and phrases and received a lot of appreciative smiles from Africans at the effort we made to speak a little of their language. All in all, I was very pleased that I took this little book along with me.
on 1 January 2013
I did start to study this book in order to use some of the phrases that it recommended. Unfortunately my elder grandson who
also came with us took a shine to it and I never saw it after he took it to read so I'm not sure that it got as far as our holiday as
he came too..
on 15 February 2013
I've used Berlitz before, but this is much better and up to date for my use in Tanzania. Small and fits into the riucksack or poket very easily. I ended up giving it to a local Swahili speaker as the dictionaries are good
on 4 February 2009
This was an amazingly useful little book which helped to make sense of swahili and I would recommend it to anyone travelling into Kenya. You cannot beat being able to name animals in Swahili! and is amazing to be able to chat even if you pronounce things wrong with local people.