Customer reviews

on 24 January 2013
Through my work I come into contact with a higher than average number of people from Lithuania and Latvia. I wanted to understand some basic words and phrases so that I could enhance my working relationships and take some of the stress out of contact. The basics in this book are helpful and useful and the pronunciation guide beside each word and phrase is simple and makes learning easy. I have used and still use other Lonely Planet Phrasebooks abroad and recommend this one to anyone with a need for Baltic States language basics.
on 11 February 2016
Product as described
on 9 December 2010
This was a superb buy. People really repond when you try and speak some of their language, I carried this with me at all times! It was easy to use, and although I only picked up a few of the most basic phrases, I could always find a page quickly enough to ask a more detailed quiestion. If you can get it before you go, do so! Well worth a few quid.
on 30 July 2009
We took this phrase-book on a trip through Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, and it provided all that we needed. Each language section has a handy summary box at the beginning with the most useful phrases, followed by pronunciation guides and more phrases. There is also information on the grammar - we didn't use this, but if you were planning to stay for longer and get to know a bit more of the language it could be useful.

The only minor criticisms are that the page tabs are all the same colour - this is probably to save money, but the practise of other phrasebooks to tab each language in a different colour would have made it easier to jump straight to the correct section. Also the phrases translated are not the same in every language - it was a little frustrating at one point to find the phrase we wanted translated into Estonian and Lithuanian but not Latvian, when we were in Latvia at the time. Having said that, nearly everyone we met spoke English anyway!
on 18 September 2014
excellent product, excellent service
on 1 June 2014
I wanted a phrase book to give me some basic phrases as a complete beginner travelling to Latvia for a holiday. This book worked very well giving me a few phrases to show that I'd at least made some effort to learn some of the language rather than just relying on English. Given the size this book is obviously not aimed at a serious student of the Baltic languages, but as a novice wanting to dip my toe in the languages this was perfect.
on 3 June 2016