on 1 December 2005
This is a pretty good book. Not all consolidated LP books are of equal quality, but I was pleased with the accuracy and volume of detail for each country. The crucial thing like border crossing points, times, and rough costs were good. Not much else really matters.
on 15 August 2014
The quality of the paper seems superior to later editions.Great info and maps for a long trip or trying to work out a preferred route.
on 23 March 2016
AAA
on 17 October 2004
I take issue with the previous critics. The writers have crammed in a lot of information into one book. Sure, the individual guides are better. However, most people don't have 100 quid to fork out for a whole Lonely Planet library. Also, how are you going to carry so many books with you when you're travelling? I'm in South America at the moment and this book has provided me with a lot of help. If you're going to stay in one country only then just get the guide for that one country. The Lonely Planet for Chile is especially good.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 March 2014
was very useful while i travelled. very much reccomended. You could find all the useful information easily generaly a great book
on 24 September 2014
Exactly as described.
on 8 December 2014
on 22 July 2011
I used this book loads while traveling around South America, and as always it has been the backpackers bible. That in itself can be a problem, however, as it does make the planet not so lonely as there are always other people going where you are going.

While I love the LP format, layout and info provided, sometimes it does leave things out that are worth doing/visiting, or give them a bad subjective review. I've also found maps to be incorrect.

As with all research, it is better to have more than one source, but as with all travelers, I also wanted to travel light. All the same, I found using South American Handbook 2011 (Footprint Handbook): 87 (Footprint South American Handbook) along side this invaluable (not this edition though, and bare in mind older books are cheaper and the sites barely change). The format isn't as easy-reading, but the objectivity allows more facts to be squashed in, giving extra places to visit that are worth seeing, while including extra logistical info such as accom and travel details.

Tip: In an age of digital cameras, instead of dragging 2 guides books out and about with me daily, I took photos of the relevant pages which having sometimes already read, I could easily refer to and read on my camera. This meant I could go out with sometimes 1 and sometimes no guidebook - who needs an extra 3kg of book in their daypack, yet you'll always have your camera?!

Follow your dreams and enjoy your adventure - I did!
on 28 October 2009
We are currently travelling around South America for three and a half months and whilst we never expected the shoestring guide to give us in depth information about each country, we did expect it to be at least vaguely accurate. Whilst prices are of course vulnerable to change , putting things in American dollars instead of the local currency doesn't help, neither does its patronising or ridiculous suggestions like this little gem about begging ``Think twice about indiscriminately handing out sweets, or money instead teach a game or share a photograph of family or friends...`` !!!!!!!! Thanks Lonely Planet Ill try that in the backstreets of Rio! Furthermore we were at times left wondering whether some of the authors had actually visited the countries they were describing as their descriptions of some places (middle Chile in particular) seemed somewhat at odds with reality!
Overall the guide is useful for its maps, and its activities and sights sections are normally quite good but it just seems a little bit patchy to be relied upon.
on 13 October 2005
I used this book for five months of backpacking in S.America and found it absolutely invaluable. Of course it doesn't contain as much specific info on the countries as the individual guides do, but when space and weight in your pack are important you don't want to be carrying around over a dozen books. It offers a great overview of the highlights of the country but I mostly used it to find cheap accomodation and routes/times/costs of the local buses. I can't comment on any of the itineries the author recomends, but I wouldn't use them anyway - decide what you want to see and go it alone!
On a side note, this is a fascinating and varied continent, on which I will always want to return to and would highly recomend to travelers.