on 22 August 2010
I bought this book for my boyfriend to learn Sinhalese, before going on our trip to meet the rest of my family.
The book is well written an all, but I find that the Sinhalese reported is sometimes too formal.... it is not colloquial Sinhalese, not a way in which to converse on a day to day basis.
I think it would be better to provide a product that defines the difference between what is been used on a daily routine and what to use on a formal occasion.
on 5 September 2009
This book is a handy size for the pocket or handbag. However, I can't help thinking that you really do need someone to help you learn the pronunciations. This is a very tricky language! Personally, I gave up as (thank heavens!)most of the population of Sri Lanka can speak English and they seem to be very keen to practice it!
on 30 January 2014
As a beginner I found this phrase book difficult to use and frustrating. The phrases given appear not to necessarily be spoken, normal sinhalese eg they give Ayubowan as hello/goodbye - when it just ain't used in normal conversation. (They should have simply said no equivalent word, and told us what people actually do or say when they greet). They do not explain that 'please' is not said as an isolated word (that's probably why I never heard it said when I was there). Pronouns are also different from those given in other spoken language guides, no explanation given as to why. Even the word for no is different.
There is not enough help to allow a beginner to understand phrase construction.
The written sinhala characters are very small and difficult to read.
May be OK if you are already a fluent and experienced speaker already.
All in all I lost confidence in this very quickly and am looking for something more down to earth.
on 5 May 2009
Bought this in view of my upcoming holiday to Sri Lanka (so excited!!!).
Have tried various phrase books over the years, but always find that Lonely planet are well written, include everything you need and are pretty reasonable price wise. Also includes little facts about the culture and traditions- sure it'll be of great use.
on 26 February 2011
Although I haven't started studying properly, I've had a quick flick through the sections, and the book has a good layout, is well thoght-out and the phonetic aids to pronunciation are clear. The only thng missing is a note on the rules regarding the stress in Sinhahalese words. With such a multi-syllabic language, it could be immportant to know where the emphasis goes - hope it's not like some Chinese languages, where the wrong stress can completely change a word's meaning! All in all, though, a handy little guide.
on 4 April 2013
Sinhala Phrasebook - very useful language guide - all the useful expressions that you might need but note that the Sinhalese script is so small and is hard to distinguish as a beginner in Sinhalese
I am going to Sri Lanka again on 16th May, 2012 after 60 years, and from this book, I may be able to get by with the help from this book on Sinhala.
on 17 February 2013
The phrasebook will be very helpful when i go to Sri Lanka to see my husband.It has a dictionary at the back which is helpful.
on 24 January 2014
A nice pocket sized book, lots of information. Covers conversation brilliant for reference. Won't take up too much room .
on 15 May 2011
I bought this book to help me with a few phrases on my trips to Sri Lanka and it's very easy to understand