on 5 September 2011
I am a great fan of both Lonely Planet and Rough Guide and own about thirty titles all of which have lived up to expectation and enhanced our travelling immensley. I bought this book as we are planning to cycle from Roscoff to Santander this autumn and thought it would describe Eurovelo and local cycle routes throughout France.
Instead it describes about five circular routes in various parts of France and completely fails to mention any of the long distance routes you might actually want to do.
A better description in the Amazon advert would help others to avoid wasting their money too!!
Very disappointed.
on 30 November 2006
I cycled extensively in France (mostly central and eastern districts) in the summer of 2006 and found this book still useful and generally up-to-date. As it covers pretty much the whole of France sometimes some detail is lacking (you must take proper detailed maps - don't rely on the maps in the book), but the lists of accomodation & restaurants, ideas for routes, and general arae guides are very good. I did the Alsatian Wine Route pretty much as described in the book, and found the description, Things-to-see section, etc pretty much spot-on. Highly recommended.
on 2 November 2011
I bought this in the full knowledge that my planned route was not included among those described. I was after the meat.

Essentially, I needed to know some of the things a complete novice to cycle tourism should be prepared for, what they could expect along the road and how that gelled with France and her ways. That is exactly what you will find here quite apart from some wonderfully thought out and varied routes.

Advice on transporting bicycles, packing panniers and general bike maintenance, while perhaps unnesessary for the experienced, was more than welcome and helps to make Cycling France (Lonely Planet Cycling Guide)essential to anyone planning a Gallic campaign.
on 22 December 2009
Absolutely perfect book for anyone who would like to cycle in France. Exhaustive in scope, the book covers a variety of difficulties, and would be suitable for cyclists of all abilities. Added to that is the Lonely Planet insights into the specific areas that bring another dimension to your journey.
on 29 July 2015
Good user friendly book, although as we booked a cycle tour through a company in the end, we didn't really need the book. The tour company provided maps, itinerary, leaflets etc. This would be a good guide for planning your own trip though.
on 14 June 2011
Bought this book with a view to spending a week cycling in France. Wanted some ideas on places to stay etc as didn't fancy a big organised tour. The book contains all sorts of usefull info that I think will be invaluable for my trip
on 26 October 2009
Excellent book as a starting point for route ideas - but essential use it with a road map for extra detail and alternative routes/extensions.
on 11 September 2012
We used this book to cycle in Normandy, appreciate many other routes, but we didn't find the information easy to follow or all that accurate.
on 15 December 2014
Arrived quickly - can't comment on content - is part of an Xmas gift, I know nothing about cycling sorry!
on 1 February 2015
bought as a gift and my son in law. found it very good and informative.