on 24 September 2009
This is a review on the 4th edition. Being Brazilian myself, I bought this book as a gift for a British friend who has a Brazilian partner, but I decided to examine it beforehand. I have found things that strike me as simply unacceptable in a phrase book.

The translator, or whoever was in charge of the text, often makes mistakes that suggest she/he is not a native speaker, or that she/he has been living abroad for too long. Some examples: "portuguêses" (wrong accentuation), "pasagem" (wrong spelling), "amanha" (missing accent), pronunciation of "você" misleadingly indicating that the first syllable should be stressed, "kilo" (wrong spelling) etc. - all that was just in the first pages. The translator also seems to have a problem with the crasis accent, which appears to be wrong almost every time.

If you follow the book, you will end up saying "É um hora" (It's one o'clock) instead of "É uma hora"; if you are vegan, you will use a word just invented by this book, "vegitalista" (there is no such thing); and the crying-out-loud, ear-hurting error that would be unacceptable even at a kindergarten level: "estrupo" instead of "estupro".

The very low price and the huge variety of situational expressions included in the book may compensate for the errors for some people. (There is even a very amusing section on sex talk!) However, on almost any given page I randomly pick, there is a typo and/or a grammar error. I have learned that most typos are actually consistent spelling errors. In addition, errors in the pronunciation keys are not rare, sometimes indicating the wrong syllable to be stressed. That brings us to another serious problem posed by the book, which is the pronunciation system (barely understandable) and the choice of a regional accent. Do not believe them when they say that there are small variations in pronunciation across the country. I am not saying that they should provide a key for all possible variations you can find, but the differences can be huge indeed, and this book does not even mention that.

To sum up, it should have undergone serious proofreading before being published. The way it is presented now, it damages Lonely Planet's reputation.
33 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2013
We bought this and found it very useful on our recent trip. It was nicely broken down into section so you could go directly to meals/travel/shopping etc sections to find the relevant works and the phonetic descriptions were understood. As a book it did try to cover too many area, for example, your average traveller doesn't need to know the section on how to get to hospital becuase they are about to give birth, they do need to know the works for postcards, stamps and the like, also, by the time we got to Bahia and the Amazon the culinary sectiom was useless as it focused on central Brazillian foods. I would recommend this for any traveller to Brazil, despite it's few faults it was a very handy book to have especially as there are very few foreign language speakers over there in the services industry (we spoke English, Spanish and French to a good level and still used the guide constantly).
on 13 December 2013
I looked at many language books to start off with.
This one gave me great information and background to Brazil.
and also many phrases that I needed to kick off with.
And was very well priced
on 16 December 2013
Liked some parts of the phrasebook. It was perfect for the absolute beginner, like myself. I was able to use it in order to communicate with people who did not speak English which is the aim of the game here.

Personally, I feel I would have benefitted from a 'You absolutely need to know these essential phrases' section i.e. words for 'hello', 'thank you', 'how much', 'near', 'excuse me' as I was hoping to see this. The idea of thumbnail categories for different environments is good but sometimes there is crossover and it is not obvious where to find the question/response you seek.

I would definitely hang on to it and lend to a friend travelling that way if they needed it.
on 27 November 2013
The organization and emphasis of this book are both kind of strange. There's way more information on how to flirt in Brazilian than on how to purchase a ticket or order food off a menu. And, that practical menu-type info is well into the book after all the helpful phrases for trying to have sex with strangers. The pronunciation keys were helpful, and ultimately the book did help me get around, but jeez. It could have been way more practical! (On the plus side, the price was right, and the book was small and portable.)
on 8 May 2013
I bought this as i wanted to have an idea of what i was dealing with when it came to brazilian portuguese (as i am moving there in a few weeks). this little book covers a whole range of things, not just the basics, it also looks at culture and more informal language.. a great buy to start you off!
on 11 October 2012
As per title. Also the phrasebook appears to be very comprehensive with the range of situations covered, catering also for those with special diets and disabilities. For the price, appears to be good value. The final proof will come, when I test it in situ, when in Brazil!
on 7 April 2013
This phrase book seems to cover many situations to speak to a Portuguese speaking person. It also provides pronunciation and other good tips. I am pleased with my purchase and look forward to using it.
on 4 April 2013
Being a language teacher I thought this book very handy and the students like it too. There is a good variety of topics and the sentences make sense!
on 15 June 2015
This is a brilliant little book.It explains in a very concise and easy to understand way all the grammar ideas you will need. It is divided up into chapters tackling different social situations like transport for instance. Each chapters gives you loads of useful questions to ask in Portuguese. the book also has a very useful dictionary at the back. Also this book easily fits into your pocket or handbag to be taken out with you.