on 26 February 2013
We bought this and found it very useful on our recent trip. It was nicely broken down into section so you could go directly to meals/travel/shopping etc sections to find the relevant works and the phonetic descriptions were understood. As a book it did try to cover too many area, for example, your average traveller doesn't need to know the section on how to get to hospital becuase they are about to give birth, they do need to know the works for postcards, stamps and the like, also, by the time we got to Bahia and the Amazon the culinary sectiom was useless as it focused on central Brazillian foods. I would recommend this for any traveller to Brazil, despite it's few faults it was a very handy book to have especially as there are very few foreign language speakers over there in the services industry (we spoke English, Spanish and French to a good level and still used the guide constantly).
on 16 December 2013
Liked some parts of the phrasebook. It was perfect for the absolute beginner, like myself. I was able to use it in order to communicate with people who did not speak English which is the aim of the game here.

Personally, I feel I would have benefitted from a 'You absolutely need to know these essential phrases' section i.e. words for 'hello', 'thank you', 'how much', 'near', 'excuse me' as I was hoping to see this. The idea of thumbnail categories for different environments is good but sometimes there is crossover and it is not obvious where to find the question/response you seek.

I would definitely hang on to it and lend to a friend travelling that way if they needed it.
on 19 May 2018
all ok
on 27 November 2013
The organization and emphasis of this book are both kind of strange. There's way more information on how to flirt in Brazilian than on how to purchase a ticket or order food off a menu. And, that practical menu-type info is well into the book after all the helpful phrases for trying to have sex with strangers. The pronunciation keys were helpful, and ultimately the book did help me get around, but jeez. It could have been way more practical! (On the plus side, the price was right, and the book was small and portable.)
on 13 December 2013
I looked at many language books to start off with.
This one gave me great information and background to Brazil.
and also many phrases that I needed to kick off with.
And was very well priced
on 1 January 2015
This is a really handy reference although I found it hard to know the pronunciation. I used this alongside a phone app and I developed a good knowledge of phrases to use with excellent pronunciation.
on 15 June 2015
This is a brilliant little book.It explains in a very concise and easy to understand way all the grammar ideas you will need. It is divided up into chapters tackling different social situations like transport for instance. Each chapters gives you loads of useful questions to ask in Portuguese. the book also has a very useful dictionary at the back. Also this book easily fits into your pocket or handbag to be taken out with you.
on 22 August 2013
Better than expected, good size to take away. Some phrases that you hope to never have to use but they are there if you need them. It's good to steer you away from mainland Portuguese pronunciation.
on 15 April 2015
Was very useful when I spent a month in Brazil!
on 22 February 2015