on 24 November 2009
This book is indispensible for those travelling to Myanmar, especially on a low to medium budget (the better-off seemingly on tailor made or group tours). I found two other travel guide books to the country but neither contained the detailed travel and accomodation advice of this guide. With limited English fairly widely spoken in the country (and many signs and directions and adverts also in English) Myanmar is not the most difficult country to travel in. However roads and rail tracks are poor so land travel is very slow, often uncomfortable, crowded and not uncommonly at awkward times (4.00am starts not uncommon) but compensated for by the company of the aimiable local people. There is litle or no public transport in towns (but taxis are very cheap) so the practicalities of getting about can be difficult and this book is of immense help in this respect.
I found the political comment in the book very apt and not over done. Whilst we were never troubled by them there are road blocks and soldiers/militia on the streets at times so it is a country where travellers need to be more aware than usual of the political situation and, so informed, adapt accordingly.
The other guide books do cover the history and the culture rather more fully but for most with only room in their pack for one book the coverage in the Lonely Planet guide will be sufficient.Myanmar (Burma): Includes Extensive Coverage of the Temples of Bagan (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
on 4 November 2009
This is a superb little book with everything you need to know when visiting the country. The restaurant and hotel descriptions are very accurate, and the maps and site guides excellent. One of the best features of the book are the Rangoon and Mandalay walking tours, which both take you on fascinating routes through colourful and architecturally interesting parts of the city and off the beaten track away from the more touristy sites.

I would have liked a more detailed history, particularly of British Burma, but that aside it's an invaluable travel companion.

The book is certainly political in its opposition to all things government but having now been there and seen how awfully the country is governed, this is no bad thing. People should definitely travel to Burma but make every effort to ensure their dollars don't end up in the pockets of the government. This guidebook provides you with the information to achieve this while offering superb travel advice.

I would have been lost (in every sense) without it.
on 11 June 2010
I oredred this book from marketplace and received excellent service.
There are understandably hardly any guide books to this country, but having read the lonely planet guide and various blogs and reviews, I have decided to travel there in November 2010. I found the book interesting and helpful and it certainly halped me make my decision. I am hoping I find the country and people as friendly as I am anticipating.
on 19 October 2009
I am a keen reader of Lonely planet guides and they are usually my first choice every time I backpack in a foreign country; usually well written and plenty of useful suggestions. I am sorry to admit this was NOT the case. As another reader wrote (certainly better than I could do with my poor English..), this guide " is so obsessed at telling us how wicked the regime is that it fails to fulfill its purpose as a travel guide". After the first few pages you'll learn you'll be stressed for the rest of the chapters to make your best to avoid supporting the regime; which is good to a certain extent, but not when it becomes the leitmotiv of the whole guide.
Hotel reviews are well written as usual ( and that's what kept me to give 1 star), but places suspected by the reader to have connection with the regime or accessible only through government agencies they won't simply be covered, such as Padaung (long neck) villages or mountain tribes in the extreme north; I'd prefer to have all the info and make my mind up about what is worth or what is bad to visit..
on 14 July 2010
This book is not so much a guide as a tirade of political correctness and condemnation of the regime currently in power in Myanmar. A guide book should be a source of information on such things as travel, hotels, culture, etc. Not instruction on how one should think politicaly or morally; I can make my own mind up on these things.
Actual down to earth information is limited and not very well expressed. Also information on many destinations is absent as the guide does not think you should go there or that you may be thought to be supporting the regime if you do. The maps in the guide are small and inadequate; I need a magnifying glass to read them. The guide fails in so many ways that I am suspicious of those giving five star ratings. I have used "Lonely Planet" before but generaly prefer "Rough Guide", however there is no "Rough Guide" book for Myanmar (as of July 2010)but there are a couple of privately produced books on Myanmar which are worth checking out - and buy a seperate map.
on 6 September 2010
I use Lonely Planet guides since about 15 years ago, i've always found them useful and full of informations. This Myanmar edition, as other reviews here have showed, is not so much a guide as a childish exhibition of political correctness and condemnation of the military junta. I deeply believe in democracy but i don't like democracy exporters who are producing many tragedies in this World. A guide book must be a source of informations, of course even about actual political situation, inside history chapter and not instructions on how one should think about Myanmar governement, in quite every page. I know these guides are young people oriented, but i think it's enought to give info about politics in the introduction part then reader must be free to have his own mind up on this field.
It's a bit confused edition, maps are too small, information on many destinations is absent and/or "censored" (is this democracy and freedom?") as this guide push you to not go there or that you may be thought to be supporting the military junta if you do it. Anyway, i'm not pro boycott strategy and i think tourism, most of all small group or independent tourism, should give a big chance to open and mantain a communication with "outside" world, wich mean also open windows for more freedom and more direct experiences and control about human rights violation. Same opinion about North Korea. I'm a fan of Lonely Planet, they can do better.
on 7 January 2011
A guidebook to Myanmar is an essential tool to visit the country, but unfortunately not many different ones are available. Lonely Planet is useful for general guidance, but it enters into too much political discourse (suitable for an article but not a travel guide) and too many recommended hotels and restaurants are simply disappointing (either from the start or more likely because they have enough customers since in LP). Still "our pick" usually seems to be a good reference (when not fully booked).
on 19 August 2010
THE travel guide to Myanmar.

Whenever you see a traveller in Myanmar they have the guide. Whatever their spoken language!

Lots of talk about whether its ehtical to produce a guide to Myanmar. Yes. Its a fascinating if troubled country and I simply cannot imagine travelling independently without it.

Highly recommended.
on 13 August 2013
Great book although a little dated now. Gave us what we needed and more. Informative, full of ideas and things to see and do with useful tips and hints. Exactly what I would expect.
on 12 July 2011
Up to same high standard of other Lonely Planet publications.
Would be nice if the guides were updated more regularly.
I believe there is one due out in 2012?