on 25 April 2008
The lonely planet guides are notable for their use of imaginitive images, and there is no shortage of top quality imaginitive images here. Top marks also for having not a single image straddling the spine. If only the countless other donkeys, masquerading as book designers would follow this example. What I do find difficult to stomach though, is the intrusive over enthusiastic meddling with colour balance, contrast and saturation in about half of the images, they really do look odd in some cases.

I disagree that the book is aimed 'equipment enthusiasts'. The image is the important thing, and I do not find the space devoted to equipment excessive. In truth - having been deep into photography for nearly 40 years I pass these pages by normally, but here I think they have the balance right. They even advocate keeping the load down to a nminimum, by not lugging a lot of equipment around. One thing that struck me was that the range of lenses used for the books illustrations was remarkably small. In summary - a most informative book that has inspiring images, many of which have been ruined by inept reproduction, with exaggerated, and inaccurate colours.
on 26 June 2009
Lovely Book with good images and Reasonably Informative, until it falls apart. You've got somewhere between ten minutes and half an hour before it's, game over. After that you're pasting it back together again in a bid to try and read it. However if you can finish it you'll find it enjoyable, but it's unlikely you'll get that far.
on 17 July 2007
As a word of caution, like its compatriots in the series, oriented towards those that want to lug full kit around and set off to do little more than take photos. If that's you, then fine. If you're more into digicams and hobby photography there are better books around.

But excellent photos and some good ideas within nonetheless.
on 1 October 2010
Very useful for digital SLR as well as film photography,
Very godd service from Powell's bookshop and Amazon; very impressed. Thank you.
on 5 March 2016
Informative yet seemed old fashioned and not particularly inspiring.
on 5 November 2009
Packed full of useful advice and in a small enough format to stick inside your camera bag, this is an ideal travel companion. Definitely recommended.
on 9 May 2008
I really liked this book, gave common sense information on how to achieve shots, not too technical, but does assume that you know how to use a camera, and how to adjust its settings. This is just to the extent that the book is aimed at somone who probably has more than one lens, and wants to seriously take some travel pictures (but is no professional), rather than someone with a point and shoot who is taking holiday snaps. From that perspective this is a great book.

Yep - the images within are good, but weirdly adjusted - which is a pity.

However, the reason this doesn't score higher is that the book fell apart on me. On the second day I had it! I hadn't even been subjecting it to extreme conditions, just sitting on a train reading it. I am not sure I have ever had a book fall apart so badly (well, a couple of old paperbooks after multiple rereadings).

Long term - this may not be an issue, I will probably want to tear the book up at some point, such that I can take sections with me. But I would expect it to last more than two days before I treat it badly.