on 13 February 2014
The book is as stated. The delivery time was good. The company selling these books do so at a very fair price so well pleased for a good all round transaction.
on 7 December 2012
I bought this book because it was cheap (50p) and it was definitely worth it. A few of the essays were from books I had already read but were worth another read because they were from good authors. The trouble with taking an extract from a book is that characters and settings can be out of context if you haven't got the bigger picture so it was helpful to have previously read some of the authors. Without that background knowledge some of the events could have been confusing. What I did find irritating was that a couple of the essays were written in such a bad style that I just couldn't be bothered persevering with them and skipped them. Shame really as it was a waste of bookspace and also irritating that some people don't know how to communicate clearly in writing yet get published!

I found the book made me quite reflective on my own choice of house and whether I have any regrets about not travelling the world constantly like some of the contributors did before they decided to settle in a foreign country. It is also interesting to know what it is that makes people want to settle in a particular place. For some it is the smell of things or the beauty of the setting and for others it is the people they mix with but the house they decide to live in is central to their dream. This is another reason to gripe about the book because in some essays the 'house' hardly comes into it at all. Take Annie Hawes extract from 'Extra Virgin' for instance. In her book she describes her discovery of her house brilliantly and goes to some detail in explaining the anxiety and joy of making it her home yet the extract from her book is more or less about the lack of water she suffered in a freak year and the peculiar Italian behaviour she had to tolerate on family trips.

However these essays are fascinating accounts even if they don't follow the title of the book to the letter. Some of the essayists were the envy of their friends whilst others regretted making their home abroad it seems. The grass is always greener somewhere else isn't it? Or is it? Have you wasted your life living in just one place? Read the book and decide.
on 6 May 2011
This book is devastatingly boring. I had to read it for college, but it is so bad, i cannot emphasise it with words. Seriously, don't waste your money, i have no idea why they even made it.
on 24 January 2012
I'm studying this book for my A-level English course and I have to say I found it extremely dull. Most of the extracts are very hard to read and get in to. I like to read things where I get some feel for the characters but these extracts are purely about the country, culture or home. However I wouldn't slate this book completely, some of the extracts are somewhat interesting, but it's not my thing at all.
on 21 December 2013
Needed it for a english topic and was a good price, good quality and exactly just what I needed :)
on 3 October 2011
I bought this for my daughter's A level English course, so I've only had time to read a couple of items but I really like it. The styles are quite diverse and the viewpoints the different authors take give the collection lots of depth and colour. Unfortunately, my 17yr old doesn't find it totally riveting!
on 19 January 2011
This is a collection of chapters (either from existing books or a few original contributions) of travel writing. Each is well chosen, and all are interesting and very well written. A lovely book to accompany a journey or to read in the depths of winter.
on 19 July 2009
Fast delivery
I havent yet read this book but i am looking forward to reading it. However it was reasonable priced. Happy customer :)