on 2 May 2010
I bought this to help me learn some Urdu phrases and words to help in my teaching and communicating with parents.
There is an amazing amount inthis little book. It is well laid out in different sections eg food, socialising, travelling, dictionary etc. There is a great grammar and pronounciation section and everything is transliterated to enable those of us used to the western alphabet to be able to 'read' the words.
The only thing missing is a section which translates from the Urdu/Hindi/Bengali transliteration to allow translation during conversations which don't follow the expected patterns of the supplied phrases!
One person found this helpful
on 30 August 2017
An excellent little book, although at 74 I wish the print had been a little bigger.
on 9 April 2015
Great. Very useful. when in India or home (UK).
on 4 February 2009
Excellent. One of the best ones that I've seen on the market. I like the fact that it also covers Bengali. Would definetly recommend if you're travellng to India / Pakistan. Well done Lonely PLanet.
4 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2013
Very happy with this phrasebook. Although it was second hand it is as good as new. Will be very useful on our forthcoming trip to India especially the section ref food.
on 27 December 2011
This page will be updated when there is something useful to add. This page will be updated when there is something useful to add.
VINE VOICEon 7 August 2009
"Hindi, Urdu and Bengali phrasebook" by Lonely Planet is really very helpful.
It is very informative, well organised, cheap and pocket size 304 page phrasebook for three big Indian languages - Hindi, Urdu and Bengali.
The great thing about this phrasebook is that it is very well organised and has easy to follow content page in the beginning.
There are scripts explained of every language and the phrases are in original script and English transliteration.
Hindi and Urdu - two sister languages are in one part of the phrasebook and Bengali makes another part.
Every part is devided into:
TOOLS(Script, pronunciation, grammar and basic vocabulary such as numbers and days of the week etc)
PRACTICAL (involves transport, directions, border crossing, accomodation, shopping, communications, money and banking, sightseeing, business, specific needs)
SOCIAL (meeting people, interests, feelings and opinions, going out, beliefs and cultural differences, outdoors)\
FOOD (eating out, self catering, vegetarian and special meals, culinary reader)
SAFE TRAVEL ( emergencies and health)
DICTIONARIES (English - Hindi/Urdu and Hindi - English and Urdu - English)
The Bengali part of the phrasebook is analogical to Hindi/Urdu part.
The book has emergency and important phrases written on the inside part of its cover, it has small maps on its pages to show where the languages are spoken.
I haven't used the Bengali part yet but I think that Hindi and Urdu phrases written side by side (Hindi in Devanagari script and Urdu in Persian script) can be a bit confusing so it can take time to get used to it.
However I would agree that Lonely Planet is the best phrasebook brand you could possibly find and I think that's correct because these phrasebooks are of a rather good quality. I still use my Hindi phrasebook to learn the basic phrases in different life situations (we are still in India). I would definitely recommend it but, of course, it's only a phrasebook and we shouldn't expect a full language course from it. For that purpose, I would recommend Hindi books by Rupert Snell.
5 people found this helpful
on 15 September 2011
I didn't like it. There is no clear difference made between hard letters and soft letters in English and I found it annoying to use compared to the layouts of other (different language) phrasebooks I've used. It was however nice to have the Urdu translation alongside the Hindi, and it helped me in some cases. Plus I don't think there are many books better than this anyway.
One person found this helpful
on 6 July 2010
I saw the previous version in a library and wanted my own copy. I bought the latest version - big mistake. So I went off and bought a second copy of the previous version. The publishers broke a very good product - a pity.
Why? The old version was Hindi and Urdu - the new version has Bengali also. Although the newer version is thicker, a lot of useful information
was either removed or condensed in such a manner that is very hard to assimilate. Also the number of entries in the dictionary was reduced. I only wanted Hindi. The only good point about the book that there is an enhanced culninary reader (i.e. menu decrypter!).
Buy the old one and please (publisher) - 'if it aint broke - don't fix it'
3 people found this helpful