Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 January 2013
I picked this book up as I read everything Keene writes and I had read it was a kind of loose sequel to Dead Sea which is one of my favourite Keene novels.

If you already read his work this novel is basically set in the same universe as Dead Sea rather than being a direct sequel. If your new to his work this basically means that you don't need to read Dead Sea before reading this.

Let me start of by saying that although this is a zombie novel, the zombies are only there to keep the main characters trapped in a bunker and play no other part in the book other than this. The novel is more about how people react in extreme situations and the madness that ensues.

While I enjoyed this book and read it pretty quick I didn't love it. Although it's short it started to feel repetitive quite quick. The main character is being pursued by everyone else in the bunker and it gets a bit dull from there. He gets attacked, defends himself and kills someone. Repeat this several times and you have most of the book. Throughout we are on a journey into his madness but I just didn't feel it.

I absolutely love Keene and while some of his worst books are better than a lot of other authors best books I can only say this one was okay. Didn't want to leave it half way through but didn't love it either.
on 28 May 2013
I like Brian Keene, I've got a lot of his books and really enjoy reading them. I especially like that they've started to all dovetail together and link in through being classed as different "levels" on earth (this is expanded on more in other books like Earthworm Gods II and Clickers vs Zombies).

I got this book because it was billed as the sequel to the Dead Sea, which I really enjoyed. While what I read was the visceral, meaty Keene that I like, the tale is more cabin-fever orientated than zombie orientated. In fact, anything could have been put in in place of the zombies which were barely mentioned, other than a couple of pages near the beginning: Hamlins Revenge, Ob and his followers, Earthworms, even an avalanche would have worked. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the book, it was a fun little tale to read, but not the story I was expecting, nor hoping for. Dead Sea still needs a followup.
on 1 July 2013
set around the time of the zombie outbreak in the rising and dead sea

a group of survivors lock themselfs into a nucular bunker with zombies outside, however what is inside is much much worse HUMANS

after the food is gone, they decide to turn to cannibalism with out 'hero' picked to be the 1st killed and eaten, but things don't go as planned.....

great read never lets up and good tribute to day of the dead
on 27 January 2013
A study of madness and how people react, and respond, when they are trapped in an underground environment when the world goes to hell. To be honest I think most people would react in the same way in the situation examined in this book, and without any spoilers I'm talking about all of the factions.

Still it loses a star because Hamlien's revenge is such a great idea, and unique amongst the zombie genre, that any novel avoiding this focus is disappointing.

A must read for zombie fans though.
on 19 January 2013
I lobe Brian Keene. but feel this is not his best book. Buy the rising, city of the dead, darkness on the edge of town instead.
on 21 May 2014
Short, but action packed, this quite a visceral tale that bever lets up but I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting!
on 17 September 2014