on 16 July 2013
I did enjoy this book but it wasn't by any means perfect. Someone whose reviews I follow on GoodReads said that this book was pretty much like the author had decided to re-write Twilight. The thing is, some parts were too familiar: a new girl in a small town, inexplicable group of people that are ostracised by 'normal' people, hot/cold male lead, and the girl always seeming to find herself in perilous situations that could have easily been avoided or foreseen.

What carries this book for me is the dialogue. It's snappy and sharp. And whilst I didn't always like Daemon, the chemistry between him and Katy is brilliant. And I loved his sister, Dee, too. And I liked Katy's other friends, even if there wasn't much development of them.

What I also like is that Katy is essentially one of us. A blogger. An avid reader. And she is relatable and in that respect, likeable.

This was a fun read and I'm already onto the next.
This isn't a bad book. Just isn't for me. I wasn't a fan of Twilight and this is very much Twilight fan-fiction, but with massive plot holes.

Dislikes:

1. Insta-Lust: I loath insta-lust. It's just not my thing, particularly when the hero treats the heroine badly but she still swoons over him. Have some SELF-RESPECT.

2. OTT swooning, angst, whinging and wobbles. The heroine is either crying over the hero (like seriously grow a spine woman) or is swooning over him. I hate that. Why can't we have strong heroines? Even her occasional backchat is ruined by her constant need for his approval. She whines about "why do you hate me so much?" - WHY DO YOU CARE?! HE'S A T0SS-POT - MOVE ON!!!

3. Way too Twilight-y

4. Plot holes galore.

(a) if you're trying to keep a low-profile surely you'd have average looks? Why do these Lux people choose good-looks? Also why not drive and behave with more discretion if your hoping to "fit in"?

(b) considering how obvious the Lux are with their powers, surely their opponents can easily find them without needing humans with the "Lux trace" stamped on them? They just have to monitor all the Men in Black wandering around the location. Duh

(c) if Lux people are Light, then their energy source would be light i.e. why eat junk food? Like plants they'd need light and water.

(d) again if Lux are made of light, and look like light then how can they be attracted to humans? It's like us being attracted to non-humans. The science is whacked.

If anyone knows even a tiny bit about Physics would notice it. It's a shame we don't have more female teens in sciences - but if they're into this stuff then not surprised.

-----------------------------------------------

Likes:

1. heroine's background story relating to her dad. That was so sweet. And how her mum still loves him. Beautiful.

2. heroines curvy looks.

3. Hero's hostile reacting to heroine was hot (it's a shame she constantly drooled over him), otherwise it would have been perfect chemistry.

Altogether not a bad book but I DNF'd it as I was struggling to read around 65%. It just lost my interest.
on 7 December 2014
This book was a let down, but part of that reason could have been because so many people were raving about it so my expectations were high.
I liked the storyline, it was the characters that I did not like. I worked my way through it and only near the end when you got to know the other alien personalities did I realise what was annoying me. Clearly I'm in the minority with my low rating and not carrying on this series, and I'm probably the only person who saw a lot of character similarities with Twilight. I liked the female protagonist and she was nothing like Bella, Daemon also wasn't Edward, but I wasn't swooning over his bad boy lines. I can't even remember the other aliens names who got introduced, but they reminded me of the Cullen siblings. There was an Alice, Rosalie and Jasper!
on 17 September 2015
This is the first book in the Lux series. I loved it!

Katy is a normal, everyday teen, who also happens to be an avid reader, book blogger and reviewer. She is full of angst after moving to West Virginia with her mother after the death of her father. I liked her a lot, though her (sometimes) bitchy inner monologue, as well as her constant swooning over Daemon grated on me at times. After meeting Daemon, her new next door neighbour, things begin to get interesting.

I bought this book (in paperback format) from http://Amazon.com way back in 2013 (though there seems to be no record of it in my account now?), as I had heard good things about it. Unfortunately, due to my rather large reading list, I have only recently been able to read it.

I began to read and was quickly hooked; I managed to read this book in one sitting. The story is told from Katy's point of view (in first person). This gives the reader the opportunity to watch things unfold from Katy's perspective. I really liked this, but often wondered what Daemon was thinking or feeling. However, reading between the lines, I got an impression of Daemon's character. He can be a total arrogant jerk, but he can also be a caring person. I must admit that I felt like slapping him a time or two myself, but I also realised why he was acting the way he was - he was protecting not only himself but his family too.

In a way, this story reminded me of my favourite YA TV programme as a teen, Roswell, which was also based on a series of books. You have a gorgeous guy, who happens to be an alien, and a teenage girl who lands herself into trouble. Throw in a lonely sister and you have a recipe for an exciting YA adventure/romance. Speaking of Dee, I liked her a lot more than Daemon. She is enthusiastic and bubbly, nothing like her sterner twin. The story is a little predictable if you have read a lot of similar YA stories *cough* Twilight *cough*, but if you are new to this genre, this has to be one of the best books to begin with. There are several twists and turns that kept me riveted from beginning to end, and the ending left me wanting to keep reading. I am hoping to read the next book in the series as soon as I can. Hopefully, it won't be another two or three years; it's sitting on my bookshelf, staring at me, so I had better get a move on and read it!

Jennifer Armentrout has written a fantastic YA romance. I love her fast paced writing style. The dialogue is sharp and snappy, though some of the characters are not as well developed as they could have been. However, the flow is wonderful and scenes flowed seamlessly from one into another. I would definitely consider adding this author onto my favourite authors list, and I will be reading more of her books in the future.

I highly recommend this book to teens aged 14+, and to adults who love reading books in the YA genre. - Lynn Worton
on 19 January 2015
As always read reviews before downloading and several mentioned the Twilight saga which I'd enjoyed so I downladed it.
What I did not expect was although things were altered it was in fact in large parts an act of blatant plagiarism. At times I though I'd picked up the first of the Twilight books.
So I guess if you enjoyed the Twilight saga you'll like this, although the aliens are known to the government and the female lead has an attitude and is at times the usual airhead female.
on 13 March 2016
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book, I hadn't read any reviews or even the synopsis. I just know that it routinely showed up on my news feed or on Facebook so I thought I would give it a try and I wasn't disappointed.
Young Adult isn't something I read often, I find it hard to identify with the characters and often drown in the angst. I didn't have that here. I liked the slow build relationship between Katy & Daemon, their tension filled interactions didn't have me groaning in despair. Parts of the story felt familiar, I can't quite put my finger on why though. I'll definitely pick up the rest!
on 1 October 2013
This plotline was very good. It had potential to be really amazing, like super. But...I just didn't like the flippant writing style. Everything that should have been really dark and scary was light-hearted, jokey or - even worse - just plain forgotten. It's very obvious that this author has potential to be amazing, but half the scenes just fell flat. It also didn't help that there was a lack of clear description in some of them - so it was hard to visualize. Especially fast-moving, action scenes.

Saying that, I absolutely adored the character Daemon. He was very wonderful to read about. He had the perfect measure of cockiness, snark and caring side. And, although for the first half of the book I found Katy irritating, she grew on me towards the end of the book.

Overall, this book could have been so much better but it wasn't that bad as it was.
on 20 April 2016
I understand why people refer to this as a rewritten Twilight.

However, whilst the hero of the story does have slightly controlling tendencies, he's definitely superior to Twilight's guy.

I really liked our heroine, though I do agree that she can be frustrating with how she accepts her jerky mistreatment and then seems to always just get over it because how good looking he is.

Overall, a fun and very fast read. A good bath book!
on 29 January 2015
To be honest this isn’t a book I was thinking about reading, the story didn’t sound very interesting, one of those YA novels where the girl let’s herself be abused by an irritating male character and never really stands up for herself. However all the raving about it on booktube got me curious and when I saw it for free on Amazon I downloaded it, and later it was voted to be read on the Little Book Club…so I finally gave in and read it…and since my expectation where not very high to begin with, I wasn’t really disappointed.

As I was expecting, the story is nothing special although weirdly addictive, it was a very fast read. There isn’t anything distinctive about the characters or the plot (there is very little information abut the aliens, maybe the other books in the series delve more into their world). Daemon is just exasperating, one second he is being arrogant and pretentious (the “I’m doing this for your and my sister’s protection” didn’t really stick); the next he is being affectionate and tender. Katy on the other took all the abuse and went back for more, it ends up being frustrating, and the fact that she is a nerdy book blogger is very unconvincing as she seems to rarely pick up a book or do any writing.There are some steamy, sexy scenes and a lot of sexual tension between Katy and Daemon, however the back and forth between them becomes a little repetitive.

Overall it was an entertaining read, I didn’t struggle or though about just putting it down, despite it’s flaws this book was kind of a guilty pleasure, nonetheless I will not be continuing with the series, at least for now.
on 17 September 2015
Another winning series from Jennifer L Armentrout. Started this after finishing the excellent Dark Elements trilogy and wasn't sure if this could be as good. Happy to say it is every bit as gripping. Refreshingly not a love triangle. Plenty of surprises - without given anything away I have to say that Daemon and Dee were not what I thought they were. This author is a great story teller, making you want to turn the page and not put the book down. I'm currently on book 3 of this series and thoroughly enjoying it.