Customer reviews

on 6 January 2014
I am very new to knitting, but am already hitting the frustrations of knitting something that looks great on paper or in the pattern photo but then is somewhat disappointing in reality. It seemed there should be a way of making something that fit well given it was being created from scratch. This book explains the process very well and includes some lovely patterns to try. It was nice to see the models as normal size people rather than super-slim models wearing a tiny size. I have every intention not only of knitting many of the items from the book, but also using the info to make modifications to other patterns - wish me luck!!
20 people found this helpful
on 7 February 2014
Amy Herzog is a lovely girl who just makes everything so clear. You can discover what your body shape is and then knit things that will actually flatter your figure! I had bought this online video course from Craftsy and wanted the patterns to go with it.
In the book you get all this how-to as well, and a great selection of modern patterns to suit all body types. I am knitting one at the moment, and the instructions are nice and clear. I have another one from this book lined up for the next project too.
Best of all, Amy shows you how to modify patterns before you knit them so that the garment will sit right on you.
If you have jumpers in your wardrobe you've made but don't wear, I've done some surgery on a couple of older jumpers I didn't really like, following Amy's shape guidance and now I do love them (see Carol Feller's Sweater Surgery on Craftsy for help in altering completed garments).
14 people found this helpful
on 20 November 2014
I'm giving this five stars because Amy Herzog's advice about fit have been a revelation. This book took me from first measurements, through choosing the best size for my particular shape, and then through the modifications I needed to make to her basic patterns to get the best fit. Result: the first sweater I have ever made that actually fitted! I had resigned my knitting to making non-fit items like blankets, cowls and hats. Now I've expanded my repertoire to jumpers and cardies with new confidence. Amy's tips and advice are very clearly put - and with the minimum amount of maths.
Have to say that the designs in the book are not the most inspirational that you might desire, but they are designed to be easily modified and, as such, are a good starting point for a book about fit. Then the fun starts as you move on to use these concepts on other projects.
7 people found this helpful
on 28 April 2016
I think this book will be useful, although I am apprehensive about using the alterations described because I'm quite a slow knitter and if the top doesn't come out well, I will have spent a lot of time doing it.
That said, if it improves the fit, excellent!
The information about styles for different body shapes is very informative.
The quality of the book and the pictures is very good.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2014
As a knitter with an ample bosom I have struggled for years to create garments that truly fit me. They end up either hanging off my shoulders or straining across my chest. This book is a revelation!
6 people found this helpful
on 10 November 2013
Good selection of patterns, several flappy cards ~ great for me as I love a flappy cardi.

Talks about adding short rows for shaping and a section to identify your shape and think about what will suit you.
Good buy.
11 people found this helpful
on 19 April 2018
i have given this 4 stars as to be honest i have only had time to flick through it looks intresting and informative arrived on time packed well,will no doubt up date review when i have completly read book.
on 19 January 2016
Brilliantly written. Easy to understand and hopefully will make a real difference to my knitting.
3 people found this helpful
on 9 October 2017
Excellent publication which is clear with easy to follow instructions and interesting designs/patterns
on 10 October 2016
OK, sort-of -- BUT, in spite of 'considerations' from manufacturers, will designers please,please provide us with the WEIGHT of yarns used, so we know what we're looking for......😕