Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 November 2013
I have read many books about Pink Floyd, some good, some bad, some indifferent. I think I now know most things written about the band. I have seen them in concert all four members, the trio and Dave's and Roger's solo concerts. I was there the night of the reunion at the 02 on May 12th 2011 when Dave joined Roger for Comfortably Numb and Nick made it a great emotional finale for Outside The Wall. In the book Thompson states "Nick came on and took his place at the vacant drum kit!" Eh no he didn't I was there, Roger introduced him, he walked on, Roger squeezed the life out of him, Nick nodded to Dave then was handed a tambourine to play Outside The Wall. I noticed at least this one glaring mistake in the book (as I was there, but I think everyone who cares about Floyd would have seen it on the internet, very sloppy and lazy me thinks) how many others were there I wonder.

I was looking forward to a book on and about Roger Waters one of the most enigmatic men in the history of music. Boy was I conned. Thompson must have seen that there were many books on Pink Floyd out there and he wanted to write one too. However, he must have realised the selling point would be Roger Waters. He may have started out with that idea but what we end up with is another average book about Pink Floyd and the music. I learned nothing new from the book and learned nothing new about Roger Waters. Mr Thompson has been very clever in his decision to title a book about Pink Floyd as a book about Roger Waters. If you haven't read many books about Pink Floyd it's ok but if you expect it to do what it says on the tin, forget it. That said the final chapter (regardless of the glaring mistake) is probably the best bit of the book.
on 31 October 2013
I was hoping for a biography, this is just a re-hash of of basic information that can be gleaned from any other Floyd/Syd book. Save your hard earned cash and hope Roger writes his auto-biography.
on 2 January 2014
The previous reviews are spot on: this book is about Pink Floyd rather than Roger Waters and contains nothing new. In fact, it's a pretty dull read all round. Don't waste your money.
on 4 December 2014
If you want to know about Roger Waters the man this is not the place to look. If you wish to read more about Pink Floyd then use this book. Very very disappointing.
on 24 December 2013
Given the mixed bag of previous reviews I approached this book with some trepidation. I was as wrong to do so as it is a great read. I love Floyd and quite liked Amused to Death, but Rogers other poser Pink Floyd out put is pretty weak. Saying that, I have seen him live twice and he can really put on a stocking show. In this book however he does come across as a bit of a bas###d!!
Floyd boys review is quit weak and obviously he is biased in his overall view by love for the band,however he is correct in pointing out the glaringly obvious editorial issues the author has clearly cocked up on.
I have always thought of Water's as a bit of a hypocrite with his holier than thou rants about war, poverty and politics. Easy to stand on a soapbox and pontificate when you are worth 70 million plus. The book in my opinion articulates this very point extremely well.

His music is historically memorable, his attitude to the members of Floyd and his self righteous posturing is disgraceful.

Excellent read over Xmas. I look forward to a follow up on Mr Gilmour.
on 18 November 2013
I am huge Floyd fan, and travelled the world to see Roger Waters perform The Wall on three continents.
Some of the book covers old ground about the early days of the band, but there is some insight into the dynamics of the band.
It has made me realise the extent of the enormous rift between David and Roger. To some extent explained it quite well. I now think the band is done and there is no hope of a reunion.
Roger doesn't come out of it as a particularly pleasant character. I think he has mellowed a bit now, but he must have been very difficult to work with.
Easy to read and it does explain why they parted in 1985.
on 6 May 2016
very nice clean edition, quick delivery