Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

• BEE

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 July 2012
This is quite simply an amazing book. I am a beekeeper and a volunteer with the National Trust for the apiary at Hughenden Manor. As a teacher for 33 years as well I take a leading part in trying to help the public and children understand about bees and bee keeping. This book is invaluable - you show selected pictures to the young or old alike and see the awe, wonder and understanding - often followed by the most enthusiastic questioning to learn more. Whether you believe in evolution or a divine hand, seeing the line of hooks that allow one wing to attach to another and knowing this is the fundamental idea of velcro, you see the intrinsic beauty alongside the practical efficiency. Showing the barbed sting enlarged allows you to explain why it needs to be removed but also why just pulling it may not work. And the enlarged eye with 8000 hexagonal lenses - WOW. Would be a wonderful book especially for the child who dislikes reading lots of text or who has difficulty in doing so but the effectiveness of the images means it will inspire anyone at any age. The only problem is that my copy is getting marked by tiny and not so tiny fingers as I share it with others. I need at least one more copy so I have one to keep and one to use!
Wonderful close up photos - my old mum has been fascinated by bees for many years, but she was utterly enthralled to see her little friends in so much detail. She's also used this book to get her grandchildren interested in bees as well - this really appeals to kids as they just hadn't imagined that bees were so intricate and fascinating. Recommended.
on 31 August 2011
I bought this for my husband, who keeps bees. He was delighted with the book. It is very different to other beekeeping books. It is a collection of photographs, zoomed in, of different parts of the bee. The detail is amazing and it is quite fascinating (even to me - and I'm not really a bee enthusiast!)! It would make an ideal gift to anyone interested in nature, photography and of course, bees!
Great value, and lovely binding.
on 29 October 2016
I had a peculiar obsession with bees for a few weeks after watching a documentary I forget the name of. This is a stunning piece of work that shows you the fascinating patterns of bees close up. Perfect for people wanting to learn more about bees or as inspiration for someone who may find the detailed patterns interesting.
on 6 April 2011
As a beekeeper I found this book just stunning. Beautifully shot it is a 'must have' for the regular beekeeper, the beekeeper with an leaning toward bee anatomy or just anyone fascinated by bees. A great gift for anyone interested in this wonderful hobby.
on 1 February 2013
Bought as a present for my father who is a scientist who keeps bees as a hobby - he loved it!
on 16 June 2014
Amazing imaging! There are close-ups I thought were impossible to reach. It is very educative, perfect as a present at the same time- for a beekeeper, anyone interested in nature or photography.
on 27 January 2015
I bought this as a gift for my beekeeping parents - they loved it. The pictures are stunning, and offer the reader a newfound respect for the remarkable bee.
on 2 March 2014
This was recommended at our local natural bee keeping club. The photographs are absolutely incredible. Will recommend it myself to my friends.
on 20 February 2016
Bee-keeping husband enjoyed this gift - he has every other book written on the subject, but this one really surprised him!