Customer reviews

on 5 March 2010
This is the earliest of the three documentaries by Adam Curtis which I bought from Amazon recently, all of which I have now seen - and marveled at! They are all to do with the kind of society that has developed in the West, with this particular title devoted to the consumer aspect of our daily lives.
Although Freud is very central to the argument, it is not the Freud of sexuality, dreams and slips that we are concerned with here. It is something much more sinister - our unconscious, uncontrolled and irrational desires - which occupies the stage. If you have never heard of a certain Edward Bernays (nephew of the more famous Sigmund) now is the time to rectify that omission. I am certainly grateful to Mr. Curtis for having made the introduction, although I'm not so sure that his activities are of the kind his uncle would have approved.
This is fascinating stuff, and as with other Adam Curtis documentaries, not to be taken over a cup of tea. It is highly rewarding and well worth the effort, although, as with his other documentaries, the video and audio are very much wanting. In fact, subtitles for the odd indecipherable word would be a great help. Still, as this documentary clearly shows, life ain't perfect!
7 people found this helpful
on 10 August 2010
Despatch was prompt and the actual item was a great bit of research
on the part of adam Curtis. It warrents many viewings to absorb
the detailed and subtle argument that helps to make sense of the nihlism in our culture and the consumerism that passes itself off
as personal fulfilment but is in fact anything but liberty.
One person found this helpful
on 29 January 2010
Great film - sees the modern world from a different perspective than normal. I look forward to seeing the other films by Adam Curtis
2 people found this helpful
on 20 September 2010
Fast dispatch. Good dubbing from the original BBC broadcast. I'm so very glad that this is available to the public! Brilliant documentary.
on 10 February 2013
AMAZING DOCUMENTARY! REAL EYE OPENER!
I wonder why is it not available....could this be because of the Freud family power connections?