on 26 October 2017
I read this years ago.. I have returned to it. Sometimes, you can forget just how good some writers are, how brilliantly they can tell a story; and in doing so, how they pace, describe & meter the stories, so that you have just enough time to actually 'be that man who steps though that CST exploratory wormhole' and have time to take it all in. Few writers can do what Peter does. Thoroughly engaging storyteller.
on 23 October 2017
Really hard work to read, while I'm all for a good bit of world building it is a distraction and detracting from the story when the author insists on doing down to last blade of grass. There are some great concepts and ideas all lost in over complicated and verbose meandering, not to mention the one dimensional characters that I was wholly unable to invest the slightest bit of emotional attachment to. It does make you wonder what it was like before an editor got hold of the first draft.
on 10 March 2015
I grew up with Arthur C Clark and Isaac Asimov, then life the world and things left little time for SF until I retired and dipped again into the magic and imagination of the SF genre. Dan Simmons fired me up and led naturally on to Peter F Hamilton.

Stunning breadth of imagination and vision, stitching it all into a saga that sucks you in, always leaving you with that unsatisfied wanting more feeling.

Your feel like entering the possible future, with an engagement of senses and vividness that speaks of a master story teller in his prime - then Peter Hamilton is your man.
on 13 September 2017
It didn't grip me at all. I got 2 thirds of the way through and was still waiting for something more significant to happen. I wasn't emotionally invested in any of the characters. It jumped around too much and there was far too much jargon.
on 26 June 2016
Enjoyed the general story though I found it a little difficult to follow, probably cos I read it in short sessions. It all came together eventually and made sense. I purchased number 2 and another by the same author - a recommendation if you like a longer read.
on 2 October 2017
The universe sounds suitably rich, and this kind of book would normally be up my street but I found it really hard going. It took a while to twig but I think it's the really long, unnecesaary descriptions of surroundings and minutiae
on 20 September 2017
Excellent . Enjoying this second time round and it is a good combination of a thriller / detective novel and a Sci fi (A long complex one) ...... Very good
on 21 May 2017
Another great book....Hamiltons best stories are usually super long, but they never feel it....and the science bits are pretty easy to understand. Love it!
on 11 June 2017
Read this after working through the void trilogy (also highly recommended). Peter f Hamilton had awesome imagination and is comfortable in his writing style, an excellent read
on 4 October 2017
Was already a huge fan after having read the Nights Dawn trilogy but was sucked in straight away to the Commonwealth set up. The attention to detail is excellent but doesn't detract one jot from the story and the characters. A must read.