on 29 May 2017
excellent read
on 15 May 2017
Good recipes
on 1 June 2017
I'm happy with the book, lots of ideas and everything explained. Now I just need time to cook.
on 13 July 2017
very helpful
on 26 July 2016
Being a vegan, I'd seen the documentary and I found it very informative, so I just had to purchase this! So far, after a quick flick through it along with a few recipes made (which were delicious), I am very pleased with this book. I had been looking for a plant based cookbook which wasn't so heavy with fancy ingredients and/or steps, while low fat, and this fits the bill exactly. There is so much to choose from with affordable ingredients and the recipes are simple to follow and easy to make. The only small flaw (which others have also stated), is the lack of pictures. Ideally, I would've loved a picture on each page, but you can't have everything I guess! At least it has a few glossy pages dedicated to photos in the middle. Overall, I recommend this cookbook for anybody wanting to transfer to a veganism, or simply would like some variety in their diet (like me!).
on 8 November 2013
We embarked on the Plant-based, wholefood eating experience just over a month ago after watching "Forks over Knives" on DVD. We were carnivores with a weakness for Chinese takeaway.
I was a little concerned about 'what' we were going to eat but this cookbook answered all the questions and opened the door to a whole world of taste!
The recipes are well written and clear, and easy to follow for a UK based reader. The emphasis is on using fruit, veg and wholegrains instead of meat substitutes and bought in sauces. I have found that a slow cooker is invaluable for preparing dried beans and also for cooking chillis, soups and curries. I'm buying a Vegan slowcooker recipe book next.
The biggest revelation has been the sauces - "No cheese" sauce = delicious. I thought I would be pining for cheese by now, but I'm not even missing it. Using tofu as a basis for sauces such as roasted red pepper and coriander is a brilliant "cheat".
There is plenty of information in this book for a beginner and loads of inspiration for seasoned plant-based cooks. If you are new to this way of eating..get this book. BUT be prepared to spend a lot of time preparing food as you are foregoing "convenience and fast food". It is worth it.
11 Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2015
I bought this book because I have recently started the Overcoming MS diet which means wholefood, mainly vegan cooking with very little fat. This book has been my absolute saviour - the recipes are easy to follow, and once you get in some storecupboard staples, aren't too elaborate like many cookery books of this kind. The food tastes good and once I got the hang of it, I was cooking all my own sauces etc from scratch and they were so tasty I amazed myself! I thought I'd never be able to have properly nice food again but this book has proven me wrong - lots of my dishes are tastier than before :) I feel like this has been a culinary journey of discovery for me (e.g. you don't need to use fat to fry onions!!). My advice is, if you're interested in following this kind of diet, this is THE book you need.

So grateful to the author for helping me stick to the plan I need to be healthy - thank you.
on 2 July 2016
I bought this book after downloading the FOK app. After reading the book "How not to die" I decided I needed a book of whole food recipes and chose this one. I have not been disappointed by the excellent and tasty recipes. I make big batches and freeze some so that I can savour these delicious menus on a busier day. They are straight forward to cook and very wholesome.
on 28 January 2017
This book has such promise and I am converted to a plant based diet...but the book itself is dull and has too few pictures. I have tried 5 or 6 recipes so far and the quantities don't seem to work out. Not enough sauce to go with noodles or spices are overwhelming. It may be that its just not transferring well to a UK market...but I have even bought cup measurers to make sure I have interpreted recipes right. More pictures please.
on 5 November 2016
The parcel had been dropped on the centre of the spine before being packed & delivered to me. So turning paged in the centre of the book makes the pages cone out. Disappointing. That said,the content is very good and I'm looking forward to trying the recipes.