on 15 August 2012
I am currently reading this book and felt the need to write a review as it's wonderful. We are often told that "they are no manuals for parents" but I feel this is the closest to a "manual" that a mother will get. It should be essential reading for all new mothers.

I ordered the book to help me deal with the impact of an emotionally absent mother. However as I'm now also a mother I have found it really helpful as it highlights the behaviours of a "good mother". It's a very positive book - a great guide for parents who may not have had the emotional support in childhood but want to do better for their children.
11 comment| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2015
One of the best insights into how poor quality mothering can leave you feeling at odds with the world and affect future relationships. Once that is understood it offers the tools and insight to break the cycle and ensure that those that have not experienced the unconditional love from their mother can educate themselves on how to be mindful and provide the quality love their own children deserve. A lovely book that I find myself dipping into again and again.
on 17 May 2013
I have struggled with this subject for many years and it has been quite a painful healing journey. However, this book takes you through the difficulties faced as a youngster and draws you towards a better understanding of where your mother might have been herself. This does help to at least feel empathy for the situations she didn't handle so well. The best part about this book is that it nurtures you through the process of coming to terms with what happened and asserts that you can heal yourself gently and move on from being stuck in a judgemental mindset. I'm so glad I bought this book.
on 8 June 2012
After reading volumes of John Bowlby books on Attachment this book anchors both theory and practice into understandable obtainable reading. A gem of a book on attachments and correction of same.
on 30 June 2013
I love attachment theory but all too often the theory only gives you one choice of style which can feel like a bad fit. This book was a joy to read looking at the many attachments each of us forms and in particular the attachment with our mothers or those that stood in for our mothers, where the primary attachment figures was emotionally absent.

The style of quitting was accessible and thought provoking. A real eye opener when looking at your own process and also when trying to fit it to your clients needs. I feel I'll hold a great deal of this book within me.

Highly recommended.
on 9 February 2013
I never realised that what I was feeling was understood. I researched my feelings on the internet and was introduced to this book. I wasn't sure it was for me but since reading it I realise that there are others in the same state. I feel less guilty and more understood and relieved of the burden of keeping my feelings to myself, cos friends don't want to know when you moan about your mother, esp when she appears to be a little frail old lady that can't harm a fly, they are inevitably 'on her side'. I now feel I am justified.
on 9 November 2013
This is an excellent book. Balanced. Practical. Easy to understand. Not full of b**ll****! Easy to skip about in without losing the plot so to speak, Highly recommended.
on 2 May 2014
I chose this book after using the 'look inside' feature. The pages I read made me want to read more...so I bought it! So glad I did!! Easy to read in a 'non-patronising' 'voice', the author acknowledges, examples, informs and suggests perfect insight and clarity into dysfunctional mother / daughter relationships. If you have deep seated 'mother' issues and an enormous need to know who YOU are and be LOVED for being you, then please, please read this book. Indeed, with each page brimming with words that resonate deep to our inner child, I was able to read this book in page / chapter segments. Really digest the words and re-read as often as you wish. Your inner child will sob and cry as you realise the reality of your early nurturing / raising and how so much of it was guided by your mother, and for you and your future! Be kind to your inner child, I suggest to you again, page by page and a good box of soft tissues!
on 16 September 2013
I choose this rating because I really can't fault this book, I originally book this book to get some healing myself but the biggest bonus I got was that it has made me focus a lot more on how I parent my own children, this book would be an excellent buy for anyone couldn't recommend it more.
on 17 January 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book and found it's format clear and helpful.

he author managed to make me me think about issues I had long forgotten, which other books had not done. It really helped to explain a lot to me and answer many questions which have been left unanswered in my head for years.

I could see this book being helpful to a number of other people I know and would definately reccommend it to them.