Customer reviews

The stories from issues #17-20 of IDW's Star Trek comic book are collected as Star Trek Volume 5 (Star Trek (IDW Numbered)). These are `back ground' stories featuring McCoy, Uhura, Scott, and Sulu & Chekov. McCoy and Scott are `full' life stories, showing numerous significant events in their lives (and Scott's manages to fit in that sailing ship from the opening credits of `Enterprise'), while Uhura and Sulu & Chekov's focus on a significant event in their lives. Uhura's guest-stars Spock, and expands slightly on their romance at the Academy, where a mind-meld between them shows us a traumatic event in Uhura's past. Sulu & Chekov's story is also set in the Academy, though they don't meet until they are on the bridge of the Enterprise, they both take part in an `event' at the Academy, but from different perspectives. James Kirk guest-stars in Chekov's part of the story, as does the big green girl from the film, and Chekov appears to be writing the code fix for the Kobiashi Maru (or however it is spelled) escapade.

They are entertaining stories if you are interested in the new Start Trek universe. I found the volume in my local library, and having seen the film, gave it a go.
on 11 August 2013
Well crafted stories, well drawn characters and situations. I particularly liked Scotty's story, but the others' we're nicely plotted, and in line with the screen personas. I am enjoying the series, having bought the first four collections when they were on special offer, some months ago.

I await the next volume ... ;o)
on 9 December 2013
No don't get me wrong I love the new comic's and I've enjoyed what they've done so far but I wasn't convinced by this there take on the 'Mirror Mirror' episode. I think it was because I loved the original storyline with Kirk and some co ending up in the different reality by accident and trying to get back, but it doesn't play out like that and I found it kinda crappy. On a good note though there is more origin stories for the major characters Uhura, Bones and Sulu and Chekov which there really well done and it also answers the question, 'how the hell did Kirk cheat the Kobayashi Maru?'
on 20 July 2014
Very good, as are all in this series. A good read and very in line with the films. Very good.
on 29 June 2016