on 12 March 2017
One of the best interpretations of the Bible in modern English ever. Content is brilliant, It makes the Bible come alive ...and relevant to 2017. Only one drawback is the font size.... really quite small for a book. But would still recommend to others .
8 people found this helpful
on 25 February 2017
Amazingly beautiful text. The translation into modern language is clear and certainly retains the original poetry of the Bible..a joy to read and enables a more complete understanding of the contents. Excellent for all those who wish to learn, whether a new learner or a more experienced learner, does not lose it's relevance to anyone at whichever level they find themselves. A strong base from which to begin....good to use alongside study books.
A book which holds many stories of fundamental truths needed in contemporary and daily life...tells stories learned in childhood yet still need to explore the reality within its text....full of magic and treasure troves, human joy, love and tragedy, good over evil, responsibility, wrong doing and misunderstanding, history and more...a volume of maps/stories illuminating which path one chooses to follow.
The modernized text does facilitate its being read with ease and fluidity.
As is the title of this book it's 'The Message'.
A robust sized paperback book, a substantial A5...with some comprehensive information on the structure of the contents, how to set about reading plus maps...the text is quite small but fine when sitting in a good light...not a problem for many I imagine.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 April 2017
A lot of people have a lot of things to say about this book, but for me, as someone who has struggled with the Bible for years, it's a really good opener. It's allowed me to really get to grips with a lot of passages before tackling them in a more standard Bible. This interpretation isn't aimed at scholars, or advanced Biblical students, but for those trying to get a foothold in the good book this is a great start.
5 people found this helpful
on 13 December 2016
The Message version of the Bible is written so well for a modern day audience. I love to read scripture using the English Standard Version (ESV) and The Message version as a regular alternate to freshen up the text, especially more difficult texts. Furthermore, I've lost count how many times I see familiar texts in new ways thanks to The Message interpretation.

Some may dislike how verses are often grouped rather than kept individual, but the style lends a poetic feel to the text. The kindle version of The Message itself is not perfect, with navigation being far from intuitive or helpful. That said, this is the best Kindle version available (at the time of writing) for what to me is today an essential interpretation of the Bible.
on 13 September 2017
Love love love this. I recently bought a hard copy version of The Message, but the print size is so small and my eyesight isn't the greatest so it makes it a wee bit difficult to read for me.

This version is great and on the kindle you can skip to the chapter easily without having to scroll through each book searching for it.

I would definitely recommend it.
on 6 February 2015
How can you possibly make a comment on a version of the Bible!?! I read the Bible every day, and bought this to enable me to compare different translations, which is a very good way to see the places where there are alternative interpretations of a Greek or Hebrew word. I know that it comes from the world view of Eugene Peterson and his associates, who are American, so a very small proportion of the psalms came across as endorsing American foreign policy, which stuck in my throat a bit. But on the whole, it's a fantastic asset and I'm very pleased I bought it; it gives a fresh and inspiring take on well known passages which make them come to life in a new way, and be profoundly helpful, also easier to read. I have also used it in group study, take 4 versions of the Bible (all with different purposes and expected readership) and use them to discuss the same passage. All the participants thought it was a great method ad learned something new.
on 29 August 2017
An interesting read, but bear in mind this is just one persons interpretation of the traditional King James version. Read the original, and interpret for yourself, too. This version seems to have slightly bigger small print(!) At least, I don't seem to be squinting so much.
on 7 August 2013
Gladly, The Message has finally made Kindle Edition and it's a great book. I've often looked The Message up, hoping to get a Kindle version eventually. After reading a few reviews, I've found a way to get to each chapter of each Biblical Book. It's very easily done using a Kindle Fire, but should work on all Kindles. First, bring up the Location Bar by tapping the screen. Take that bar right back to the beginning of the book. You should now see the front cover. Tap the pages through until you get to Loc 40, as it reads on my Location bar. You should now be viewing the Bible's Contents page. Now tap a book. I'll choose Genesis. From there, each chapter is listed. Pick one. Simply and easily navigable. If you're using another version of Kindle, sling me a message and I'll talk you through the buttons to press for navigation.

I'm really pleased to have, and, to be able to read this new version. Very nicely laid out electronically.
on 11 February 2015
This is a beautiful edition of the message, the message translation speaks for itself.. i use it alongside other more traditional translations but so often it sheds light on a verse and refreshes the meaning. This copy is a good size to hold and carry . Print quite good its always a bit feint in message translation.best go for large print if your eyes are not so good. The cover is attractive looks like tan leather and has cream stitching.lovely to handle. Peterson s book introductions are also worth a mention. The bible comes in a plastic slip case. You
on 29 March 2017
Very poor quality, flimsy cover, micro font and printed on very thin almost like newspaper type paper. Avoid. Only given 2 stars as the story and writing style is very good. My advice would be to buy a better quality book of our Lord.