Customer reviews

on 4 June 2017
The title comes in hard cover with glossy finish. The redrawing of the SFX is done impeccably. Now, why not five star then? I found the paper to be lacking. It is printed in yellow-ish paper. The debris of the cutting process stays in the book as well. It keeps going into my eyes.
For the story, nothing I can criticized. I own the tittle in 4 languages.
review image
on 16 June 2017
Good quality and fast shipping.
on 15 January 2014
I have not ever read a manga anything like this before. An epic sweeping Viking historical fiction saga that reads like a novel. Absolutely brilliant. This English translation actually combines books 1 and 2 of the original Japanese giving us a magnificent starting volume. Starting off in Thorfinn's present the reader is introduced to the situation he is currently to be found then the rest of the book goes back into the past to tell his father's story and how Thorfinn came to be the avenging youth he is today. An epic story full of historical detail; Frankish, Dane, English battles with each other and the Vikings, pirates, mercenaries, and tales of exploration from Leif Ericson himself. Since Ericson is a true historical figure it makes me wonder if any of the other characters, perhaps minor ones, are historically true, but I don't recognise any names and there are a lot of people passing through so I'm not about to look them all up. Anyway. An engrossing read that had me glued to the pages! The art is astounding! The backgrounds are highly detailed and intricate making beautiful landscapes and scenes. While most of the characters have the usual distinct manga facial features, the adult men are dawn more realistically and there are some panels which are wonderfully lifelike. There is a lot of emotion and drama in the story and I finds myself already heavily committed to characters. At the end of the book there is also a bonus story which is set in Edo period Japan and promises to continue in the next volume.
on 16 October 2013
I've been waiting for an official english translation for a while and man does it deliver. The book itself is hardcover and high quality. I am very pleased with that.

It contains the first 16 chapters of the story which is quite a bit more than what is common when it comes to manga. This combined with the hardcover is reflected in the price though, but I'd say that you get more than you pay for.

I really look forward to more editions like this one and with the hope that the quality is the same as the first one I've already pre-ordered the continuation.
on 29 December 2013
This is the kind of unique manga that i like. The book itself is hardcover and of great quality and so is the content. If you like historic manga and battles this is must.
on 29 August 2014
An opening to a series which really grips you causing you to empathise with the characters. This seems impossible given that the basis for the story are Vikings. Typically the villains, Yukimura shows the reader multiple sides to their personalities as opposed to the 2D representation usually given. Though this is fiction, it may change your outlook on the fiercest men to roam the seas.

This story has gripped me beyond Berserk.
on 19 November 2013
Been waiting for this for a long time, I have had it on pre-order for 3 months, very excited when I got it. The book is nicely designed and the pages are a nice thickness. The manga itself is a so far very brutal,intriguing and very reminiscence of Berserk/Claymore. The characters and artwork are well designed and its a overall great manga. The only problem I had with this, is that my pre-order didn't come on the release day but a week after. However I was busy so I did not mind it coming late!
on 9 June 2016
Wow, not only is the story throughly engrossing the artwork is beautifully rendered.
This is one of my first forays into manga for sometime, but after reading the other great reviews I thought I would give it a try.
I would recommend this to all readers even those that haven't previously dabbled with manga. I'm now looking forward to picking up the next volumes in the saga.
on 17 January 2016
Amazing art, gripping story fantastic characters.
Best advice is don't do too much research into this series as it spoils the experience.
on 5 June 2016
the story is very well written, illustrated and arranged
I bought the other 6 volumes as soo as I finished the first volume