on 18 July 2013
Interesting but more for the the American market. I really looked forward to receiving this as *savoury* cake-pop recipes are so hard to find and it took almost 2 months to get it but when I did, it was a big let down for me.
The book covers a range of straight food types from breakfast to dessert with meat / seafoods (- possibly more for the US or OZ market like lobster, clams, tuna etc) / vegetarian / poultry / and a LOT of cheese, rice and frozen/ ready-made doughs mixed in with the meat and chicken etc. There were also some desserts at the end like fried ice cream and S'mores pops (with Hershey's mini snack size chocolate bars, and another 'Jiffy Golden Yellow Cake Mix?) .
Lots of the recipes require involved prep, pre-cooking and even marinating overnight, with ready-made bread and cookie dough by brand, and stuff like 'American' and 'Velveeto' cheese (?) etc and, unless you are an American or are prepared to research everything, you have no idea what the doughs contain, so it gets a bit confusing working it out. Not all the recipes have an accompanying image and I had to figure out what 'sweet cream butter' was (it's supposed to be unsulted butter) - but unsalted butter is also mentioned in other recipes, so am still a bit in the dark ...
I have a beautiful cake-pop maker which takes precisely 4-7 minutes to cook my stuff and was expecting ( probably quite unreasonably !) - savoury, spicy, maybe a bit of Asian or exotic, instantly prepared finger food recipes! My understanding is that the whole idea of having a really quick cooking appliance like this was to enable you whip up a really fast batter or bread-dough, made with a variety of easy, tasty, simple ingredients and then blob it into each 'pop' compartment and cook it very quickly ! LOL - I did not want to marinate something for a day, then cook it in the oven, or spend all day prepping and cooking up a whole load of other ingredients OR, make pastry, roll it out...cut little dough squares, individual wraps or parcels with carefully placed filling or grabbing a piece of meat, poking cheese into it and surrounding it with pastry and THEN cake-popping it all?
I also hoped to find at least 4 basic savoury dough and batter recipes specially made for any cake-pop machine, that I could modify and reinvent for myself if I wished to, but there only appears to be one full-ingredient bread dough recipe at the end which is a shame!
- Most of the recipes are treated like big meals instead of party bites or home-nibbles and is probably why they seem so involved.
You may like that but for me, it was too much hassel! I will of course have watch my waistline and find alternatives but *sigh* - it's so much more work that I might as well just forget about my machine and bake pies on my mini fairy-cake or muffin sheet?
Skimming through, it appears this book is not that easy or quick and it will teach me not to buy an American recipe book again! But saying that, there are some quite spectacular straight-American style recipes in there, and if you like complicated preparation with an almost instant cooking time at the end - then this is for you! Good Luck!
on 3 August 2013
Love this book as it gives u other things 2 make in your pop cake maker . My husband loves the savory recipes as he is not a cake person. The recipes r quick and easy 2 make fantastic 4 party snacks
on 7 September 2014
not what I expected. a bit difficult ideas to follow in many occasions. if I would have properly checked it in a book shop, I wouldn't have bought it.
on 7 October 2016
Have managed to make a few of the recipees but as some of the ingredients are American I do not know what to use instead.
on 19 June 2015
Not that marvellous. Recipes can be adapted, but just as easy to look up on the internet and scale down.
on 12 May 2016
It's written for a American audience.
on 27 October 2015
great recipes
on 30 June 2014
This looked good, and the recipes are varied. Such a pity the Pop Maker bought locally wasn't up to scratch.