on 26 December 2014
An enthralling read with likable characters if not hugely unique. The plot held surprises, unearthed inner fears and engaged an emotional response in me. Although the writing is imperfect, the brutality, sadness and excitement of this story makes it worth a read. Be prepared, however, for some uncomfortable violence - the blurb doesn't exactly match the reality of the text!
on 27 March 2014
It looked different, it had some great reviews and I love reading.....should have been worthwhile. I loved the start of the book, the first half really brought the characters to life and there were people you wanted to get to know. Ok so the serial killer character was a bit one dimensional and really not developed and interesting but the all the happenings on a day to day basis in the tattoo shop were wonderful to read about. Then came the big change and the the supernatural happenings and it went from believable to just not my cup of tea, I am genuinely surprised by the number of positive reviews this has.
on 31 January 2015
Kind of hard to know where to start. This novel certainly kept me gripped the whole way through, but structurally it's all over the place - Davis is trying to do too much and at the end not everything feels resolved. There are several different strands - mostly experiences/interactions of a bunch of people who work in a tattoo shop (clearly something the author knows very well) which in itself would have been enough for a story, intertwined with the story of a serial killer, a man haunted by a dead girlfriend, a strange side story about various people who are tattooed with the ashes of dead relatives - I was honestly wondering if he would manage to bring it all together, when the whole thing switches gear and basically turns into a kind of psychic detective story. Maybe Jonathan Carroll would have been able to pull off this kind of surreal storyline, but here it doesn't quite work and the whole thing feels a little disjointed. We don't see enough from the killer's viewpoint and there is way too much about the tattoo shop and the characters' various romances.

Still it's not a bad novel by any means and the ending is quite satisfactory in terms of a revenge fantasy. I preferred 'Breaking Point' as I think the simple but effective narrative style - switching between killer/cops perspective suited that tale very well.

Not sure why he has been compared to King and Koontz - this isn't horror in my book and his writing style is quite different. I think in many ways he's closer to Ed McBain.

Definitely some raw talent here though also room for improvement.
on 2 March 2012
honestly i hate tatoos with a passion, cant see the point to them but now after reading this book my mind-set has changed for the better. I was sent a link to buy this on my kindle and quickly read some reviews and was realy grasped by it - i love horror and thriller etc. i down-loaded the book and started reading it and omg i was horrified, scared, excited, shocked, too many emotions to explain but i must admit i cried a few times. It absorbed me so much that i actually felt as if these people were real. I could totally understand why the people who approached Mike for a tattoo which incorporated the ashes of their dead love ones were coming from. How amazing to believe that this would be possible? that we could actually see our loved ones again in this way, so many heartbroken people would cope much better with the rest of their lives, i know i would. But please read it, absort it for what it is and take from it what you can or need. Its a truly beautiful book and written by a very passionate guy - mike you are a genius and i cant wait to read more of your stuff. ps wish beth hadnt died - but i guess it all added to the pot and i loved doc so much - i felt his pain throughout the book from his own personal reasons to his neices demiss. read it pls, you wont be disappointed x
on 16 February 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Again, an author I hadn't come across before but will look out for in future. I found the characters to be believable and people I would like to spend some time with. I wasn't sure if there was any truth to the ashes in ink part of the story and took this to be a bit of poetic licence. However, the day after I finished the book (and what a great ending!) there was a documentary on TV about a tattoo artist somewhere in Wales, UK, who does this! Having recently lost my husband, I am seriously thinking of having something like this done, once I can come up with a suitably fitting design idea.

An unusual setting for a story, which may be yet another reason it was so entertaining and un-put-downable - and how great if the ending was actually factual - it would certainly serve the ends of justice! One or two other comments have mentioned King and Koontz but I can honestly say that I don't enjoy reading King but have enjoyed quite a few Koontz - however, not as much as I enjoyed Aric Davis. I can't wait to read something else by Aric Davis.
on 23 February 2017
As someone who didn't get her ears pierced till her late 30s and who shudders every time I see a tatoo I am a world away from the people in this story. But I love spending time with them, I care about them and I have re read a couple of times.For me it is a trip to a foreign country and I come back richer for the journeyh
on 27 May 2014
Set within a tattoo and body-piercing studio, Mike receives an unusual request to tattoo a customer using a mixture of ink and the ashes of a deceased loved one. Slowly Mike realises that this enables the people he tattoos to communicate with the people whose ashes have been used and in this way he and his friends are able to try and track down a violent rapist who has been terrorising the women of the town.

This was a strange but very good book, a bit brutal in places but I never got the feeling that the graphic violence being described was being used cheaply. The author seemed to take care of his characters and writes well and I would like to read more from him. I would recommend the book to fans of Joe Hill (and perhaps fans of Robert Shearman for the surreal touches included in this story) and I will be looking out for more from this author.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Good reviews from other readers prompted me to read this book, and I'm glad that they did. It's not the type of book that I'd normally be drawn to but in this case it was worth it, despite some reservations at the start. It's mostly presented in short chapters and written in a fairly easy to read style, and at under 300 pages it's not a long book. This is Aric Davis' second novel and tells the story of a tattoo artist called Mike and the events that unfold when he starts to get clients asking for tattoos containing the ashes of recently deceased loved ones. Despite the story seeming to be heading one way, it turns in another more unexpected direction and becomes a crime thriller with a difference. I enjoyed reading it and can recommend it to anyone who enjoys an interesting and thought provoking story.
on 10 September 2014
I bought this as an amazon daily deal months and months ago. I started reading it having no idea what it was about and I'm so glad I took a chance. It follows a chap called Mike who runs a tattoo shop and begins to get some unusual requests from the family of loved ones who have passed. They ask him to mix some of their ashes in the ink and to then tattoo them...

I don't like spoilers in reviews so I shall just say - if you fancy something different with real life characters and a sense of moral purpose then give this a go. I really enjoyed it.
on 11 August 2014
I like this book. It was a cheapie on my Kindle and I decided nothing lost by reading it and I'm glad I did. It fairly clips along and you learn all sorts of stuff about tattooing alongside a nice story about new relationships. It's got a good line in humour running through it - a bit dark sometimes but as a die-hard Stephen King fan, I didn't find it disturbing or gory in any way. After finishing it I went to see what else Aric Davis had written so a good sign I think. Recommended .......