on 23 February 2015
A decent book about what happens when people go up against big odds. The historical elements are interesting and, as you'd expect from Mr. Gladwell, it's well written. It does not - however contribute much in terms of new theories of the world or new thoughts for that matter. Still well worth the read.
on 18 November 2014
The writing is rather tiresome. As with his other books, after the first couple of chapters are sufficient to read since key messages and quotes are replayed over and over again. It was actually shocking how he included a very inaccurate and naive account of Northern Ireland. That ended it for me.
on 9 September 2014
I love Malcolm Gladwell. This book delivers more of his easily readable but insightful prose, offering insights into those things that we often overlook. I love how his examples challenge social norms and narrative, unraveling deeply held beliefs with intuitive discussion. Big fan right here.
on 15 July 2014
I love Malcolm Gladwell books, and this didn't disappoint at all, gripping, interesting and very thought provoking. His books are always easy to digest and he makes economics easy for anyone to understand. Would recommend this if you like outliers and the tipping point both great books!
on 16 December 2013
When I read the different chapters I felt that the benefits of some of the way out thinking were a bit exaggerated but to be fair to the author he did caveat his views by pointing out that such results were by no means always positive. A fascinating read and to be recommended to all.
on 28 December 2014
The David and Goliath analogy is used a a canvas to stretch over a series of fascinating tableaux from history; the result is a slightly chaotic and not always coherent romp which I could not put down. It's like being stuck in a bar with a tipsy Noam Chomsky. Charming and compelling.
on 12 December 2013
I like the Malcolm Gladwell books - he is one of the great "new" thinkers of our time and his books are always interesting - I have read them all - they are very well written and easy to read. Unlike his other books, Outliers for example, where the repetitive examples to illustrate his point were interesting, poignant and factual, this book lacked a little substance and made a few too many sweeping assumptions/generalisations.

Most of the examples used seemed believable enough, however I didn't really like the inclusion of the war in Ireland example - to make claims about how the war in Ireland would have gone had the British army realised the "David and goliath theory", hugely over simplifies what was (and still is) a complex socio-religious situation on a confined island. The book could have perhaps tried to apply itself to a current situation to show how that "should" turn out if the point he is making stands true.

His weakest book so far - but still worth reading and should provide some good food for thought.
on 18 November 2013
While I enjoyed this book, I was disappointed by how few memorable moments it has compared to, for example, Blink. It felt like a lightweight book, not as focused and rich as I expected, but I did like many bits that it's found motivating.
on 15 November 2013
As usual, Malcolm Gladwell is one of my favourite authors. He always comes with very interesting ideas and explains things well. I was just a little disappointed in that the book was too short.....but then I always want more of Malcolm Gladwell. :)
on 11 February 2014
The way the author turns everything on its head and makes you look at things in a completely different way, never ceases to amaze me.
I cannot fully explain my enthusiasm for this book. suffice it to say, my only advice is.... go and read it!!