Customer reviews

on 16 August 2013
I have never come across the author before. But glad I have.
It was a great read and the settings were great. The story line
Was a real good page turner . The characters so well described.
A great ending. The pace throughout the book was good and the whole experience of reading this book was very enjoyable.
Would recommend this book to all readers as it has something for everyone.Lindasmouton@Gmail
on 24 August 2013
This was a delightful book which flowed like a bubbling spring producing a rich poetic treat. Such a delicious joy to especially read while holiday.
on 15 September 2012
A very sweet, well-written story. But the characters seemed a bit unrealistic.

Plot: Young icelandic man has one night stand with young woman, results in child. Young man goes to Europe to look after a rose garden, young woman and child follow. Some very vague relationship angst follows. The end.

Nothing wrong with that, as far as it goes. I just found it hard to believe that a man of 22 could possibly be so unaware of his own mind and body. He has appendicitis (which can be extraordinarily painful), but seemingly has no idea what is going on. He thinks about sex, but in a very vague way, and never quite seems to fully understand it. I spent quite a lot of time wanting to shake some sense into him. The child, Flora Sol, is an absolute paragon of a child. At 9 months, she walks, talks, understands everything, and NEVER EVER cries or throws a tantrum. Yeah, right. Wouldn't life be nice if kids were really like that.

Overall, everything seems a bit dreamlike, with emotions screened through cotton wool. A very pretty story, but never really made an emotional connection, so just missed the mark with me.
on 16 October 2011
A beautiful, uplifting book with a golden glow. Stunning descriptions of Icelandic scenery and flora, and of the southern European village and monastery rose garden. If you are in to lava flows, botany, fatherhood, roses, monasteries, or even cookery, or are a bit of a film buff, there should be something here for you. The child, Flora Sol, is absolutely endearing. This is an unusual, but very readable book, and I think that the author is a genius. On a surface level it is very worth while reading, but there is a lot going on below the surface as well. Read it and see.
11 Comment| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2014
Meanderings of the mind of a young man trying to find himself!!!! Goes on a journey and talks about every mind numbing thought going on in his head as he proceeds on this journey and also when he arrives. No indication where he's from or going to or why. Pointless meaningless drivel. Did not enjoy it but persevered to the end. Kept thinking it can't be this bad all the way through but it was. Had much more fun writing this review.
on 20 October 2011
My first Kindle experience and I managed to read this in two days after work. It's very easy to read, a wonderfully told story. I did feel though that I 'missed something' and I was waiting and waiting for something dramatic to happen, particularly near the end but there were no bombshells. It left me feeling contented but at the same time, unfulfilled! I would recommend this book though. It's a lovely story.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2011
as this was a bargain kindle ebook I thought it worth a punt. And I was glad I did, a heart warming story of learning, love and discovery set against an unfamiliar backdrop. As with many translated books I felt the occasional clumsiness where a better phrase could have been used, but it did not detract from an enchanting book. Lobbi's voyage of self discovery is both simple and complex simultaneously. Read it.
on 4 February 2012
This book is a gem. Simple, but beautiful. This is one of those books that hook you in right from the start. A lovely endearing story with many layers but huge wisdom linked to fatherhood and the importance of family. A very clever piece of writing which I am looking forward to re-reading.
on 14 March 2012
Basically, just a really lovely book... A nice story with a difference - gently and thoughtfully done. I would like to read further Audur novels as a result.
on 8 November 2011
Like another reviewer I bought this bargain price book as a bit of a chancer...looking for something new.So glad I did,,what a lovely book.Stayed with me even when I wasn't reading it, very atmospheric.Beautifully drawn characters.Would love to read her other work.