TOP 100 REVIEWERon 29 August 2017
M. Poirot is faced with the daunting case of a twisted serial killer, stalking the country, oddly leaving an 'ABC' railway guide as his/her calling card at the scene of each murder. Furthermore, the murders are following on alphabetically in sequence for both names of victims and place names. The killer is deliberately teasing M. Poirot with clues and the country is up in arms. An enjoyable psychological mystery that Poirot must solve to prevent the continuation of deaths. Packed with red herrings, clever misdirection and prose, narration switching between first and third person, psychological study - there's alot going on here - making for an excellent read and, furthermore, the absolutely superb denouement does not let us down. Rather different from the traditional murder mystery from Agatha Christie, there is a bigger element of realism here. Overall, very enjoyable indeed.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 September 2015
This was my first Agatha Christie book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I found the mystery intriguing. I also smile at how how things have changed since the book was written e.g. 'An electric bell trilled sharply above the girl's head' (to you and me, that's a doorbell); when a man packs an overnight bag, he includes a 'spare collar'; and '...The evening post arrived about ten o'clock...'.

The plot is simple: someone arrogantly writes to Hercule Poirot telling him that he/she (no spoilers here!) will murder someone whose surname begins with the letter A in Andover on a certain date. The murderer signs the letter as "ABC".

After the murder, Poirot receives another letter: this time the victim will be someone whose surname begins with the letter B, living in Bexhill-on-Sea, and again ABC names the date.

It's risky business, giving prior notice of a murder - naming the location, date and even first letter of the victim's surname. It increases the chance of being caught. That's part of the tension in the book.

The quest is not just a whodunnit but also who will the next victim be and how far down the alphabet will it get. (And how would ABC ever handle Z?)

The plot is simple but the book isn't (when you read the book, you'll understand what I mean by that). Thoroughly recommended.
4 people found this helpful
on 30 May 2018
This was the first Poirot book I read. I picked it up at work one day and simply couldn't put it down, so much so that I had to buy a copy on my way home. Since then I have been an Agatha Christie fan. It's an ingenious story, cleverly plotted with so many twists and turns that kept me guessing.
on 16 April 2012
This book just shows how great Agatha Christie's books truly are. I am a lover of murder mysteries, I can't stop watching them on TV: Diagnosis Murder; Murder She Wrote; Midsomer Murders are all shows that I adore. I was browsing for books in the library and thought that reading is like TV in your head so I picked up a book from Christie's shelf. But Agatha's books are much more than TV in your head, they engage you! You feel like you are traipsing along behind a short Belgian man discovering more clues as to who may have murdered Mrs Ascher or Betty Barnard.
Usually I hate reading books written in the first person (like a diary entry), there's something that makes me resent it. In fact, when I discovered this book was written in the first person I felt rather disappointed! But the fact that I adore this book and would easily call it a masterpiece shows how good Christie is! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I devoured it in three days (solid reading, it's not a tiny book)!

The reader is thrown into M. Poirot's apartment in London, along with Hastings. A letter is received saying that Mrs Ascher, in Andover, will be murdered. Due to the high quantity of letters that Poirot receives that are similar to this, it is not taken seriously, but the murder takes place and we arrive at the scene of the crime. The murderer progresses through the alphabet, the chase is on as Poirot and Hastings must aid Scotland Yard before the blood of 26 innocent people is spilt. But is this predictable plot all that it seems, or is there a more twisted, clever solution that lies beneath.

You will gasp incredulously at the simple explanation to the riddle that will stick with you forever.

Amazon.co.uk offer this book at an extremely low price compared to the RRP, it is an absolute must have along with two other novels: And then there were none - and - Murder on the Orient Express. They too were both written by Christie and are on Amazon.co.uk for up to 40% off the RRP.
One person found this helpful
on 27 June 2017
A review of the hardback book.
Clear print.
A very good mystery, cleverly thought out and keeps the reader guessing.
A very good twist at the end.
Features Captain Hastings and Inspector Japp.
A recommended read
One person found this helpful
on 31 May 2018
This book is a good mystery and easy to read as it is not a long book. The events are described by Hastings who is Poroit's friend.
and it brings out the mind that Poroit uses to help him solve the case of a serial killer.
on 1 February 2013
This book is slightly different to most of the Poirot stories, in that the identity of the murdered is made clear very early on. Or is it? As with most things Agatha Christie wrote, the reader is kept guessing - is the identity a bluff, or a double-bluff? - right up to the end. Poirot's involving several people to help appears inconsistent with his style, but becomes understandable at the end. I have read some criticisms of this book, and there are others I prefer, but it is still very much worth reading and very enjoyable.
on 20 March 2018
Typical Poirot story with very good storyline. I always think of Peter Ustinov whenever I read these books. He was my favourite Poirot.
on 12 June 2018
it is what you would expect and have read it before but its a good read in true Poirot style nice little twist that you forget about
on 23 January 2013
The ABC Murders is by far one of the best Poirot novels I have read. The story is woven brilliantly with a cast of characters that seem unimportant, yet end up being really quite wonderful.

Out of all of the books so far, this is the one I would say is a must read. It will leave you trying to figure out Poirot's train of thought well up until the final pages and will still have you thinking 'why did I not see that before'?

Genuinely saddened to have come to the end. Oh well, onto the next Poirot for me.