Customer reviews

This book has a series of 15 minute HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts to loose fat and gain muscle. The potential problem with HIIT is that you need to be fit in the first place. Having said that most of the resistance exercises can be taken with light weights and with rests between sets until fitness has increased. Some of the resistance exercises can be done at home and others will require a visit to the gym. There are some cardio workouts too. If you enjoy exercising, 15 minutes will seem far too short.

Regular resistance training will mean changing exercises every 4 to 6 weeks to keep muscles adapting. That's where this book scores for me as it is a ready source of alternatives.
on 20 February 2017
Maybe I should have looked but you need lots of equipment to follow the book
on 1 November 2015
very much weight machine orientated
on 16 June 2017
Extremely useful for us busy blokes (and great for women too)
on 21 May 2017
Very informative and an interesting read learned a lot of new ideas
on 23 August 2017
great book
on 29 March 2012
I totally agree with the philosophy of this book and have found short, intense workouts to be MUCH more effective in building muscle and burning fat than long, drawn-out gym sessions. (The saved time is quite a plus too.)

This book gives some great circuit routines that will get your heart pumping and your muscles working. There are gym-free total body workouts, which also are great cardio; dumbbell workouts for your upper and lower body; barbell workouts meant to build maximum muscle mass; ab workouts; cardio routines; and more.

I've already tried several of the workout and was surprised at how challenging they were! This book doesn't disappoint!

P.S. I also highly recommend Muscle Myths: 50 Health & Fitness Mistakes You Don't Know You're Making (The Lean Muscle Series) because it straightened out a bunch of confusions I had about how to build muscle, lose fat, and be healthy. I was making quite a few mistakes and didn't even know it!
on 24 July 2012
i have had 2 lower back opps in the last two years , i am 46 my weight went up by 5 stone .after buying mens health book i followed the low carb diet and combined it with 5 mile walks with 50 lb back pack as i cant lift weights yet on march 10th this year i was 20 stone as i type this i am a lean 14stone 12 lb i cant thank mens healyh enough, before i bought mens health i had been on every diet under the sun from the hospital and was pulling my hair out' if only i could do some core exercises and lift some weights lol.maybe some day thanks mens health you took a 46 inch waist and now its 34inch just unreal.
on 11 February 2014
These workouts more than met my expectations. I chose the intermediate workouts and they really push you to the limit. The instructions are easy to understand and the movements clearly explained. The exercises are intense, get your pulse racing and strengthen your muscles. The variety of exercise programs is vast allowing most people to find something tailored to their preference, with or without weights. The combinations are clever and help you increase your strength and level of fitness. Would recommend this book to any exercise maniac.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 June 2012
Bought this book for my brother as he's struggling with some weight issues and really doesn't have the time with his busy job schedule. I'm a qualified personal trainer and thoroughly perused the book myself before posting it out as a gift. To sum it up, this really is a brilliant book: motivational, funny even to begin with, excellently illustrated and as thorough in instructions as is possible for a book to be. The variety of exercises is encyclopedic as well and I appreciate the fact that the authors have put so much effort into compiling this collection in such an attractive package.

My main reservations stem from my knowledge as a PT and what I've learned by way of training myself and reading/observing/studying. While the book does identify certain circuits for beginners, I think there is still room and in fact a need of building up beginner circuits according to the OPT model as recommended by NASM. Without going into technicalities, beginners need to sort out their core stability first before heading for heavier training. Without this, people getting into training are susceptible to very real injury. I think this book really needs to bring in this aspect of training to its circuits.

Secondly (and lastly) -- aside from circuit training 3 times a week, the book suggests (and I wholeheartedly agree) that the user indulge in some form or cardio -- preferably HIIT -- once a week. I wholeheartedly agree with this as well. My only reservation with the listed HIIT routines is: they all take for granted that the user might have a running space or a swimming pool or perhaps a training bike to do their HIIT. Well what about guys who don't have the luxury or time indeed for any of these? For example my brother leaves for work 6am in the morning and works until 7pm before crashing home at around 8pm. He can't be bothered to run outdoors or join a gym or swim. What he CAN do -- and indeed he does -- is train in his living room by himself, probably listening to some music etc. So the HIIT section of the book should include a routine for getting a good cardio workout within one's own home (or at least mention that, say "the running you do around a track can be done within the confines of your living room as well just as effectively.")

No love lost though: I stuck little post-its inside the book with suggestions/instructions for my bro before posting the book out to him. Postage cost as much as the book though cos it's a heavy book (almost 1kg to be exact).

Hopefully it'll be well worth it. Go buy and happy traininig!