on 12 May 2013
I recently watched the documentary 'The Cove' and was sadden and horrified by the revealing images. I was left wanting to help, to learn more about dolphins and Ric O'Barry, so I purchased this book. I read the book in two days as I found it an easy read and enjoyable. A lot of the content of this book covers Ric's work on the TV show 'Flipper' and highlighted to me the intelligence of these beautiful marine mammals - and more importantly - the cruelty of capturing dolphins.

I have respect for Ric O'Barry and the work he now carries out saving dolphins from around the world. After reading this book I am feeling motivated to make a change and to do anything in my power to keep dolphins and whales in the wild where they belong.
on 19 January 2014
Excellent book, i will recommand also reading "death at sea world" and watch "the cove" and "blackfish" get yourself informed about helping these amazing animals!!
on 30 December 2013
A great book written by an expert on dolphins, he is a well respected expert and continues to do amazing work with dolphins and whales.
on 9 February 2017
In spite of the fact that I have just started reading the book,I think it is going to be one of these books that you cannot put down. I am part of a group called 'Women of the World United against Taiji' which tries to educate and spread awareness peaceful about the capture of dolphins and the drive hunts that take place every 6 months in Taiji, Japan; That is how I got to know about Ric O'Barry and his book as he posts video and comments regularly on their Facebook page. The title says it all, behind the dolphin smile, there is pain, fear, depression, sadness and loneliness because we ripped them apart from their family in the name of entertainment and kill their families for their meat. As the foreword says 'Anyone who has spent time around dolphins comes away with the impression of a powerful, almost otherworldly intelligence', but we treat them like objects.
on 28 December 2013
Great book, bought as Xmas present for my grand daughter who adores dolphins, she now can read in-depth about them.
on 26 December 2012
This book by Rick Obarry is really to the point.It explains why it is wrong to keep Dolphins in captiverty.They need to be free.
on 23 May 2014
read the book in 3 days, great autobiography of Ric O'Barry's life.
Book was in perfect condition and arrived well packaged in great time, thank you!! would recommend and buy from again happily
on 30 August 2016
I love this book Ric O Barry's account based on his own experience of dolphins caught and kept in captivity. The book covers his past as a diver and dolphin trainer and goes on to show his fight against keeping Dolphins captive.
It's a real insight and I personally couldn't put the book down.
on 1 November 2004
Offers a great insight into the lives and intelligence of dolphins in a simple to read format. Although personnally I dont think it was as good as 'Listening to Whales' by Alexandra Morton it is still a great read. Would definatly recomend, but be prepared to feel very guilty if you ever watched 'Flipper'. A real eye-opener.
on 16 October 2016
Excellent read could not put it down