Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

on 10 February 2016
When the moon is in the seventh house... and Jupiter aligns with Mars.... oh boy, this cookbook brings me right back to my trippy hippy days in the early 70s when being a vegetarian was edgy and slightly political. But these healthy, wholesome recipes stand the test of time. As a long-standing vegetarian I love the delicious recipes in this time-trip of a cookbook. I have just enjoyed making the herbed carrot soup which is low on calories but big on flavour and nutrition. This charming edition of a hippy kitchen classic deserves a place in your cookery library.
on 13 January 1998
Definitely a fun cookbook. It's a good guide to preparing some fun and interesting vegetarian foods. The recipes are easy to follow, and not too complicated at all. It's a collection of recipes which were prepared at the Moosewood restaurant, a vegetarian collective. The book is illustrated with a series of pen-and-ink drawings and cartoons. These drawings, along with the hand-lettered text, give it a fun, friendly feeling. In the first edition of the cookbook, this feeling of cooking as fun, and vegetarian cooking as a rich and varied cuisine was enhanced by the choice of recipes, including some which weren't necessarily good for you, but ended up tasting stellar. The updated edition, unfortunately, attempts to make many of the recipes healthier, by cutting oil, cholesterol, and eliminating some of the classic tasty yet dreadfully unhealthy recipes. In my experience, the modified recipes occasionally come up short of the mark. This book is still entertaining, and certainly worthwhile to have around, but if the opportunity presents itself, try to dig up a copy of the original cookbook rather than the recent edition.
on 25 June 1998
I purchased the Moosewood Cookbook last summer, during one of my many attempts to revive the "health" level of my diet. I'm so glad that I added this book to my collection.
The recipes use a wide variety of ingredients. So, you'll never get bored if you cook from it on a regular basis. The variety in the collection also allows you to make use of fruits and vegetables that are in season throughout the year.
The time required to prepare most dishes is under an hour. This makes the book ideal for weekday cooking, a time when most of us should be eating better, but don't due to busy schedules. I made the vegetable chowder for dinner last night. I needed about an hour total. The result was a delicious, healthy, lowfat meal in a bowl. Perfect for a hectic Wednesday.
Finally, I'd like to say that everything I've cooked from this book has tasted FABULOUS! I haven't missed the fat. I love the fresh ingredients, particulary the use of herbs. And I love the fact that I'm eating healty food that also tastes wonderful.
Hats off to Mollie Katzen and the Moosewood crew. This book is a godsend.
on 26 October 2013
This book contains a selection of delicious recipes, but be warned, you will need to search online for a comprehensive list of foodstuffs and their weight in USA cups! I found a couple which I printed off and tucked inside the book. One word of warning, beware of buying a second hand one from Amazon marketplace sellers - my book stinks to heaven of a damp musty cellar, has writing on most of the pages and some pages bent and torn. World of Books are to blame! Will avoid in future.
Otherwise, treat yourself to a good vegetarian book with confidence, Moosewood is worth buying.
Mollie Katzen is the premier author of the famous 'Moosewood Cookbook'. I have used this cookbook for over 15 years, and these recipes never grow old. In fact, this cookbook is among the top ten cookbooks compiled by the New York Times.

This cookbook is filled with the information.This book was created for busy home cooks, and is filled with 350 recipes that are delicious, quick and easy to prepare. the first part of the cookbook is filled with information on how to stock your kitchen with foods and products needed, and make use of the fresh foods, and using leftovers. One of the critiques is that there are not photos for each recipe, but the ones that are provided certainly whet your appetite.

Do you remember when meatless cooking was an oddity? We have come a long way since then. as a member of the hippie generation, we are the ones who brought fresh food, meatless,musing organic stop,was to the table. One of my favorite recipes is the spinach burritos with red sauce. I make this time and time again for my family, it never gets old, and it is relatively easy to make.

You cannot go wrong with this cookbook. I bought one for my daughters, and they use it frequently.

Highly Recommended. 08-17-15
on 15 December 1998
I've been a vegetarian for many years now, and I love this cookbook - it has heaps of recipes for healthy, delicious, interesting vegetarian food. But what I think makes "The Moosewood cookbook" stand out is that non-vegetarians love its food too : my "meat with every meal" parents praised its Spicy Tomato Soup recipe, my "steak-and-boiled-veg housemate" praised its Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Quiche. And my prawn-loving boyfriend thinks that its Indonesian Gado-Gado (steamed and fresh vegetables, fried tofu, and boiled eggs under a spicy peanut sauce) is superb. Oh, and my omnivorous-and-vegetarian friends adored the Creamy Mushroom Bisque. This cookbook has something - well _several_ somethings - for everyone. Follow the instructions carefully, and you're bound to get plenty of compliments for your cooking !
on 8 August 2008
I'm neither an experienced cook or a vegetarian but using this book I've cooked some great food that people have raved about. The recipes are easy to follow and in such beautiful language that it makes other more modern cookbooks look dull in comparison.

I'd recommend this book to bachelors, students, families and experienced cooks alike.
on 12 January 2015
I bought the original in 1992, and one of my brothers is always asking for recipes from it. When I saw it was the 40th year Addition coming out I thought this would be a perfect Christmas present. It is great because it gives a bit more history of Moosewood and the cookbook, and also because the recipes read with cups of ingredients the new addition gives the conversions. My original book did not have prestine white paper like the new one, and somehow does not quite have the feel of a handwritten book like the original, but this of course is my own personal preference. Other than that I always have wonderful vegetarian meals from the book, and it has never dissappointed. I love this cookbook.
on 15 December 2011
Everything about this book is attractive. It appears to be hand written with illustrations also by the very talented author. It makes for a very good read too - the presentation is so good that you find yourself immersed in the recipes and the details - before you have even got to the oven! The ingredients are not difficult to source and she does not resort to over-spicing things which a lot of the more modern vegetarian cook books sometimes tend to do. This is a good all round every day use cook book and I wish I had discovered it years ago. It was well worth the small amount I did pay for a second hand book, and better value than some of the more glossily illustrated ones on today's shelves!
on 9 June 2011
Having orginally used this book during my 90's health kick/vegetarian lifestyle when I lived in Paris...I was extremely pleased to have another copy as I lost the original on my travels. The recipes are as tasty and tempting as they were back then...and have stood the test of time. Good wholesome food for the soul :-) <3Moosewood Cookbook Classics