on 21 November 2017
Interesting read. This starts off quite viciously - and convincingly, rightly so - attacking the 'Pack Leader' methodology made famous by other TV personalities. There are lots of easy to digest hints and tips here which I think anybody with no/minimal knowledge of dog psychology should start with. I would have given the review 5 stars had it been more in depth and thorough - I found it quite a light read and would have liked to see more detail in some areas. I'll be buying Victoria's other books though.
on 24 January 2016
Excellent training tips, although I am finding some of the points about people who do not train like Victoria Stilwell a bit repetitive. The rest of the book contains some really good insights into the minds of dogs and how to approach training.
on 21 February 2017
Good if your training a pup but no use for my rescue dog. Good for basic commands though.
on 20 March 2016
Its ok, what I found was the TV show contradicts what the book states, although the TV show is touch out of date compared to the book and possibly the theory has evolved, the book does waffle on a touch and probably you can find just as good information and training online, youtube or google without taking on a book
on 25 June 2016
This book is a 'must' for all dog lovers, trainers and behaviourists. Victoria writes with a true passion for her work and belief in 'positive' training methods, supported by reference to scientific research and real-life examples of how she has helped dogs and their guardians over the years. She takes a direct, no holes barred approach, which is what is needed to even begin to eradicate the all too common culture of training dogs using harsh, out-dated methods that rely on dominance and so-called pack theory. It has been an engaging, informative and interesting read from start to finish. Victoria doesn't go into vast depths of detail on each topic but provides enough information to make this an excellent book for future reference, whilst allowing the reader the opportunity to engage in further research, if they wish to do so. The Resources section recommends some really good books and further points of reference. I'm so glad I purchased this book. It has reinforced the way I already work and encouraged me to continue with my education so that I may help others to better understand dogs and treat them like the amazing, sentient beings that they are. Keep up the good work, Victoria! The dogs need you.
on 25 April 2017
Pretty good at explaining positive training tips. Could do with more detail on each area of problem behaviour and less explaining why punitive methods don't work. But useful.
on 5 June 2013
If I had to choose just one book about dog behaviour and training, it would be this one! I've been interested in dog behaviour for the past few years and have read every book I could get my hands on - this one tops them all by far, providing a thorough and easy to understand guide to canine origins, behaviour, training techniques, and more.

Victoria's book covers essential information about canine behaviour, language and how to train effectively and humanely. Most importantly, she clears up some of the many misconceptions regarding dogs: dominance, pack theories and the misguided application of wolf behaviour onto dogs. Many people end up on the wrong path after being convinced they must 'dominate' their dog and everything will then fall into place. Victoria sets the story straight once and for all, explaining in an almost effortless way the latest research and information in regards to these important facts about dogs.

Victoria is one of the more modern trainers who is showing the world just how damaging punishment and pack theories are to our canine friends. Highly recommended book in an age where there are so many opinions, theories and bad dog trainers out there.
0Comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 March 2017
Excellent book been so helpful on training my puppy I recommend this book,packed with loads of information.
on 12 February 2016
This came in very handy and helped us with training our two pups.
on 20 August 2017
This is a general training book and only a section on what I needed for my dog. However, still useful.