on 20 December 2015
I took up making bread as a hobby and diversion from 'work' a few years ago. I got the mixer, and found the right flour practiced and made hundreds of loaves. I thought they were pretty good.

Until I bought this book..

This book completely changed how I make bread, and I think it's brilliant.

The methods take more time, but it's time waiting, while you sleep or do something else. The effort is miniscule compared to other 'kneading' methods (that you've spent time perfecting), this needs just a bit of gentle folding, microscopic amounts of yeast... It's completely counterintuitive. But read and follow the instructions exactly and be careful with timing and temperatures and you'll make bread that looks exactly like the one on the cover. It's crusty, chewy and full of bubbly pockets.. Really brilliant bread that you'd pay at least £5 for in a artisan bakery.

A few things you should get when you buy the book
- electronic scale,

- a electronic thermometer (I bought the Heston one)

- a banneton (basket) to prove the dough

-a medium to large size cast iron casserole with a lid to bake in. You could splash out on a le creuset casserole but take a tip and get any other brand for a tenth of the price they are just as good. I use a 24cm diameter casserole for each loaf.. This 23cm one would be fine :
review image
22 Comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 July 2017
I'm so impressed with this book. Previously I've used bread machines (mostly to make dough rather than for the whole bake) and made tasty but very heavy sourdoughs. I've just made my first loaf, in a day, and I'm incredibly pleased with myself (see picture).

The book is detailed but very straightforward. I don't understand reviewers who have said it is complicated - it isn't, it's just thorough and Forkish explains the principles behind bread baking which is very important. One reviewer questioned the yeast quantities - I had no problem using the specified amounts with regular fast action dried yeast, but the temperature of your kitchen is important.

You need some kit - I got one of these Berndes 1504102 Round Casserole Dish with Lid, 24cm, 4 Litre, Cast Iron, Red/Orange for the Dutch Oven. The 12Qt Cambro container he recommends (these are a great idea as all the messy stages take place with the tub) are not available here but the UK equivalent is a Vogue CF034 available from catering suppliers.You also need a digital scale, a thermometer and some oven gloves.

This is the first time I've found a bread baking book that enables you, very easily, to make the sort of loaves 'artisan' bakers charge huge sums of money for. The bread tastes great, and the process is a joy.
review image
on 10 January 2017
Brilliant book. I've made a few different loaves which have all turned out well.
on 25 April 2017
Love this book
on 3 October 2017
This book, flour, water, salt, yeast ... an iron casserole pot and you're good to go!
on 24 September 2017
Great book. Interesting and easy to follow instructions
on 12 July 2017
An excellent book for all bread makers. Highly recommended.
on 21 April 2013
This book is a must for everyone who wants a top notch loaf at home! Believe me your bread would stand up against those sold in the best bakeries anywhere!
I have decided to write a review after reading some bad reviews about this book on the US Amazon. Someone said that the book is too personal and the author dedicated too much of it to his personal details and life. I personally loved that particular chapter as it made me think about bread beyond just as a food. Anyone who is looking just for new easy bread recipes don't bother buying it. This books offers you complete artisan baking education with a collection of recipes for fabulous breads and pizzas, as well as very precise instructions. I would say this book is for someone who is interested not just in perfect results but in the process as well! I thought that I was quite an experienced amateur baker, but this book opened up a completely new world of baking to me and made me understand that to produce a decent loaf from thousands of fancy ingredients is not difficult. To make gorgeous looking and tasting bread using just water, flour, salt and yeast- this is a challenge and an art! I would say it's no less important and magical than in wine making.
My first attempt was white bread with poolish, which is an overnight pre-ferment. It was quite challenging as it is tricky to handle a wet dough but the results exceeded my expectations - perhaps it is the best loaf I have ever made.
Cannot wait to test all these recipes!
on 9 August 2016
From the UK bread baking perspective, the Ken Forkish approach is different and worth trying. It's a sort of set of rules and principles that he has developed. The recipes use some US baking equipment and terminology but you soon get used to this. You'll be into 'Dutch Ovens', 'tubs' and 'levains' but that's the deal! The bread is great! His recipes can be involved and time-consuming so unless you are super-organised and have the time, you will find many of his recipes are not really practical for busy people on a regular basis. His 'shortest' recipe takes a day. What you can be sure of though is that the recipes have been tried, tested and work. The bread you end up with is great-tasting and a pleasure to make. Ken is committed to 'real' bread. You might like to try some simpler bread baking books such as by Linda Collister and Anthony Blake to give you some confidence first.
on 12 January 2015
It's a good all rounder great breads parts in depth others plain and simple ,love the baguettes, this book would be in my top 5 of bread books

There are a lot of very dark crusty breads here , I prefer some lighter but it's all choice and I wish I had an oven that goes to 500 deg

But all in all a good book