on 23 February 2017
The artwork could've been better in these, but don't let that stop you. Its interesting to see how accurate the TV show is, in regard to the characters and also how the plot deviates here and there.

All in all, this series is gripping and compelling. Highly recommended.
on 6 September 2013
I've never read a graphic novel before but I'm a massive fan of The Walking Dead TV show and after having read the reviews on this I decided to have a bash with it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that by the time I was halfway through I had ordered the second volume.

Some of the characters are similar to those on the TV show and some I am unfamiliar with (although I am re-watching it now so maybe I've just forgot about them!). Also some of the story lines are similar although I don't believe they ever really follow through to the same end as the show.

The only gripe I have is that some of the character drawings look the same or similar so it can be hard to differentiate who you're looking at at times which can be frustrating but don't let that put you off as this is a great read!
on 1 August 2016
This is not a small book, it's heavier than the catalogue of dreams, the comic illustrations are all black and white which kind of surprised me, but it is excellent value for money. It was purchased as a gift for my boyfriend at his request as he's a fan of the TV series. He is very happy with so what more can I say, if you're a fan of the series then give it a go, it might just tickle your fancy.
on 13 April 2016
Great to explore the Fox TV shows origins from the start over three consecutive volumes, each containing over 40 monthly issues... Altogether, I guess that's nearly 12 years of work... Great insight into character motivation, and series concepts... Certainly challenges beliefs in priority, survival, levels of engagement and co-operation, when resource is limited, and you're endeavouring to protect your own...
on 26 December 2015
Even though Rick has found himself a nice place to live. Has become a real leader and great figure head in the communites in which thrive, there is still danger and danger holds no boarders and does not care how much good has been built. Gritty, depressing and well drawn.
on 1 April 2013
Make no mistake - this is one of my best "buys" of recent months. I hadn't read any of TWD comics before but had heard many good things about them. I therefore decided to buy the first four volumes as a "taster". I loved the books and actually ended up buying the much larger Compendium books (volumes 1 & 2) which collate the all of the "Volume" books up to Volume 15 or thereabouts. So my suggestion is: if you are intent on buying this, go ahead - the quality of paper, binding and print is fantastic. That said, if you think you might get "hooked" on these comics, you may want to go for the two Compandium books, which are even better value for money.
on 26 December 2011
I bought the first book of walking dead (the 5/6 issue one) and honestly didnt dislike it but didnt love it either and I thought I was done with the series. I don't know why but something inside me told me to buy the compendium edition because I just seen that all the books had constant 4/5 star ratings so I bit the bullet and bought it.

And I am SOO glad I did. Its the best comic purchase I've made in years. It's fantastic. Every arc has shocks, great twists, brilliant characters,realistic pychological breakdowns (which would happen in an apocalypse) so many surprises and main characters dying that you are genuinly on edge when someone goes away from the group etc. No cheap suspense like in other books/tv shows where in the back of your head you kinda know they'll live. With the Walking Dead thats not the case.

Its a truly excellent series and I just recently bought up to issue 90 on Amazon. Its worth your money to buy it so I suggest you go and do
on 7 March 2015
At first, the comic is super fast-paced (maybe too much), and then it slows down a little once, I assume, Kirkman decides he wants this to go on for the long run. It started off as a regular zombie comic book series, but once you're really into it, you see it for what it is. This isn't about walkers, this is about people.
Aside from some issues being a little lengthy with not much going on (which is inevitable in realistic circumstances), the storylines, characters, and most importantly the villains, are amazing! It's so worth it to go through an issue which is a little slow to reach an awesome action-packed one. Although I initially really loved the first artist of TWD, I've grown to love Charlie Adlard's art too; the first artist drew comical expressions a lot which was a little unfitting in some issues, but nevertheless there are pros and cons to both.
Physicality-wise about this compendium: this is a heck of a heavy book. Since it's not hardback I worry about damaging it, but at least the spine doesn't bend when you've got it open on a flat surface. The thing that I would have most liked to see would've been the covers of each issue, because they are so so good, and because they're in colour unlike the b+w series, but the compendium doesn't contain them. I've just bought the book which contains the first 50 covers and goes into detail with the process of each one to rectify this. I'm not sure if each volume contains the issue covers, but if they do, after this conpendium I will likely be buying the series by volume, since I can't find the second volume of the covers edition anywhere online to go hand in hand with compendium 2. God, buying the entire series whether it be by compendium, book, volume or issue ends up being expensive no matter how you look at it. I've read them all up to date, but I want to collect the series for a reread. At least I got this compendium when the price was down to £15. Great bargain!
on 5 February 2014
Bought this yesterday and got myself next day delivery because I was that excited to start reading it. So many critics have recommended this comic series and now I am beginning to realise why. The art style, the story everything about this comic draws you in.

The best part is that this is a much cheaper alternative for those who aren't bothered about collecting and just want to read.

After watching the show, I must say this book excels what we have seen on TV, and I can't wait to order the second compendium.

As always Amazon offered a great service and delivered my item on time.
on 13 April 2016