on 15 March 2017
Saga continues on much as it set out in the first volume.
Which is no small achievement given how many series start brilliantly and fade quickly, keeping to this level of quality is what makes Saga a series well worth getting into.
I still don't buy into the five star all time classic band wagon but nevertheless the art is beautiful, the writing is strong, the characters have depth and are given room to grow and the whole thing manages to feel like it could build into an epic.
Strongly recommended
on 4 June 2017
excellent
on 22 June 2013
Saga Volume 2 is a collection of issues 7-12 of Image's blockbuster Sci-Fi series. If you're looking at this and haven't read the first book then my advice would be to pick that up and give it a read. Although my review is "spoiler free" this book is entirely a continuation of Saga Volume 1 TP and therefore makes it an essential pre-read.

There is an awful lot to love here, bold colours and simple line art create a semi-retro style (maybe an early-days Byrne) yet it feels modern because of the distinct variations in palette for the different characters and locations. Considering that quite a number of panels in this book take place in space, Staples has turned what could be a boring empty void into something very visually engaging with bold blacks and reds. Something that can be quite hard to achieve in Sci-Fi books.

The writing is fun and witty. Vaughan has a great handle on his characters as the backgrounds behind some of the distinctive personalities we met in Vol 1 are explored. The dialogue is very fluid, and although the story does jump between the various intertwining arcs it's a seamless transition (a process where Staples distinctive art really supports the sudden change).

So then why only 4 stars? It's a great book, and essential reading for anyone who enjoyed the first volume. However, as someone who absolutely loved the first volume, this time round I just find myself simply enjoying the journey. Which isn't that bad a thing. Vaughan and Staples haven't increased the momentum generated in the first volume, but at the same time they haven't lost any.

So in short, this is a great continuation of the most interesting Sci-Fi series in comics right now. If you enjoyed the first one, you should read this.
on 16 April 2017
Another perfect part
on 26 February 2014
Never change a winning team. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples strike again with a highly imaginative follow-up volume which collects issues 7 through 12. The duo set the bar very high with the first 6 issues. So high that I cannot possibly give this volume 5 stars, despite its awesomeness.

Story-wise, we take up where we left off. Our protagonists find themselves in a pickle when Marko's parents turn up in the organic tree-like rocketship. Meanwhile, The Will and his atrocious sidekick (I don't like cats) are approached by an interesting "new" character and Prince Robot IV is heading to Quietus to meet Oswald Weist. The author also gives us some backstory and quite a few WTF's.
The sheer creativity, energy and poignancy of Saga is rarely matched in the world of comic books today. The characterization is nothing short of amazing and the dialogues are often very funny.
The ability of Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples to remain creative and keep us interested in the story is impressive. Labeling Saga as a Sci-fi epic that involves many alien spices and weird monsters and whatnot would be wrong, because it also is a story about improbable love. Plus, Alana is the hottest.

The wait for the next trade paperback will be hard, but worth it.
Review originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

I’m glad to have finally continued on with this graphic novel series…or should I say… Saga?

(I apologise that was awful)

I’ll just get right into it.

As with the previous book, I loved the art style in this book so much. It has a slightly sketchy finish to it, which just makes me think someone is drawing the story out as they remember it, trying to get it all down quickly. But it’s not a mess of illegible doodles. It’s a good type of sketchy style, one that’s definitely been done on purpose. Wow I’m really bad at explaining.

And it’s not just the style I love, but the way colours are used. The colour theme would change depending on the character’s surroundings and the atmosphere, making it very easy to follow. Each section would be a different colour scheme, adding to the Sci-Fi feel of the story because come on, sometimes the sky would be bright red or the floor blue. Depends which planet you’re on at the time. I just love it when colours are used as an atmosphere change rather than just a fill-in.

The art is easily the thing I’m most impressed with when it comes to this series. It is for most graphic novels. But obviously, the story is enjoyable too – otherwise I wouldn’t want to read it.

Now, with this being the second book in the series, I knew what to expect. (Though I have to admit, I forgot just how weird this book could be at times). With how much I enjoyed the first volume, I think I expected a little bit too much. Because while I enjoyed this second volume…I felt like nothing really happened? Aside from finding out more backstory for the main characters, I honestly don’t think the story progressed much at all.

And when it came to the backstories, they confused me slightly. There would be flashback chapters to explain something a little more, but they were really made clear. You’d just suddenly be back at the beginning of the story (or even before the story) and would have to figure it out by what they said. Not too much of an issue, but I feel like just a simple date or the word “before” at the start of the chapter could have saved me those moments of confusion.

I did enjoy the flashbacks though. You know, once I figured out they were flashbacks. I liked seeing a bit more into the “before”, seeing how things got so bad before this point.

So yeah.

As a second installment, I do think the plot of this volume lacked somewhat. Obviously, things happened, but there didn’t seem to be much in the way of action. And I definitely thought there were a few unnecessary rude parts drawn in – like sex scenes shown on screens somewhere in the picture even though it had absolutely nothing to do with the scene. Heads up: this is not a graphic novel series for either the young or for people who don’t want to see sexual things. There’s not loads but there’s enough.

BUT, it was an enjoyable story. I didn’t not like it. It was a quick read, and kept me intrigued throughout. AND THE CLIFFHANGER. I definitely want the next volume!

RATED 3/5 STARS
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 March 2016
Star-crossed lovers Marko and Alana and their baby Hazel are still on the run in Saga, Volume 2. In this volume, we also get a chance to get to know Marko's parents and of course there is a lot of action going since Marko and Alana are still being hunted across the universe.

It has actually taken me quite a long time to read this volume. I bought it last summer and I have just dragged out reading it since I knew that as soon as I read it would I want the next volume to read. And, I have been trying to be frugal so it has been sitting on a shelf for a long time. Also, quite a lot of books have come between, I have a tendency to read more on my iPad than the books I buy...

How was the volume? I can honestly say that this is one of the best series I have ever read when it comes to graphic novels. The art and the story both rocks my socks. It's science fiction, with adventure and romance, strange creature and sweet moments. And, it totally surprising and absolutely nothing that children should read. I mean there are some pretty graphic images in the volume so letting this one or any of the other volumes lying around is probably a bad idea if you have curious children.

There are many great moments in the volume, both funny and sad ones. And, I think it's time for me to check up volume 3...
on 28 May 2016
Sexy, violent, sarcastic, funny, just some of the words which I have to describe the Saga series.

It is such a good looking read, I mean the main characters are all kinds of gorgeous, there is a story but some times I get distracted by how lovely it all looks.

Anyway I better say that volume 2 continues with our new parents Alana and Marko on their journey across the universe with baby Hazel, trying to avoid the bad guys and in volume 2 everyone is trying to get to the author of a book that Alana was reading before she decided to run away with Marko. Confused, it makes perfect sense really - though maybe read my review of book one too!

The bad guys are not all bad but some are a little freaky, I mean you have Prince Robot IV (human body, TV head), The Stalk (80% eight legged freak, 20% sexy woman) and plenty of other crazy looking maniacs pop up too.

Marko's ex-girlfriend appears too, teaming up with bounty hunter The Will and his best sidekick ever Lying Cat as they hunt down our star crossed lovers.

It is such a wonderful ride, Saga, full of bloody beauty, it literally is a graphic novel, very graphic so if you are squeamish it is not for you but if you are strong of stomach and full of need for a freaking great sci-fi ride then hop on to this series.
Picking up immediately after Volume 1 left off Volume 2 finds Marco and Alana still on the run with their baby daughter Hazel trying to avoid the assassins that have been chasing them. Of course Marco's parents have just turned up and they're not exactly happy to discover he's now married to one of their enemies so things are about to get really complicated for the little family.

This was a great follow up to the first Saga book, the story continues to be narrated by baby Hazel and I love her witty comments about her parents and the things that happen to them. We get a chance here to meet Marco as a child, to see first hand the beginning of the romance between Marco and Alana, The Will and Lying Cat launch a rescue attempt, Marco's angry and scorned ex is on the warpath and there's a very ugly and pretty terrifying naked giant with an incredibly large ball sac that I think I'm going to be seeing in my nightmares for years to come.

The artwork is just as stunning as I expected, the characters are becoming more and more interesting as we get to know them, there is plenty of humour along with lots of blood and gore and I can't wait to see where the series goes next.
VINE VOICEon 4 July 2013
Reviewing Saga vol.1 I wrote that this might be a masterpiece in the making. After reading vol.2, I'm now convinced that it's going to be. I'm not going to bother with any discussion of the content other than to say it builds perfectly from the first volume as more background is filled in, both setting and character, and more new stuff happens.

The great delight of this series is that it's impossible to guess what is going to happen next. Each turn of the page brings new surprises, new twists, and unexpected developments. This is simply the best thing that Brian K. Vaughan has written and that's saying something.

Fiona Staples art possesses a wonderful clarity and lightness of touch, providing just enough detail needed, and thereby propelling the story forward when many other artists would bring it to a halt by swamping the reader with an excess of detail.

Completely unsuitable for children, for everyone else this is a sheer delight and one which is impossible to overpraise.