on 13 September 2012
It is quite safe to say that I have never read anything quite like Prophet before! It is the most unique, mind-boggling comicbook 'trip' I have ever taken!

Brandom Graham (along with his co-creators) has crafted a sciene fiction masterpiece which can easily sit inside the pages of Metal Hurlant.

The story starts on a future earth changed my alien influence and time. We see a strange creature stalking the arid wasteland's for food. Suddenly a digger like object emerges through the ground. Inside it is John Prophet (who is one of several clones) and he is tasked with climbing the towers of Thauili Van and re-starting the Earth Empire via contact with the G.O.D satelite.

On his way there he meets a wide array of weird and bizarre alien creatures who have taken residence on earth. The comic is short on character dialogue for the first issue, it is up to us to us the reader to discover these strange places, much like our protagonist. Some of John's encounter's are quite funny, like his strange encounter with the 'Vagina Chicken'! Or his time on the Taxa Caravan's. These characters play an important role in John Prophet's quest. Most of them look like creatures that failed their audition for Star Wars and ended up on a cool science-fiction comic! And all the better for it!

The book features artwork from Simon Roy (chapters 1-3), Farel Dalrymple (chapter 4), Brandom Graham (chapter 5), and Giannis Milonogiannnis (chapter 6) along with Emma Rios who is on writinng and drawing duties for a short at the end entitled 'Coil: a clone story'. My favourite of the mentioned artists has to be Simon Roy's work on the opening three chapters. His artwork is very evocative of Guy Davis' work and absolutely beautiful to behold. These group of artists work really well together, and Brandon has an excellent technique of integrating the various artists (differing styles) into the story's narrative.

This is what true Indie comic is about. It shows what can be accomplished when a group of good writers and artists get together to share idea's. The possibilities can be endless.

On the evidence of this first volume, I am fascinated by the possibilties of where the story can go. And judging by the brilliant last panel you can say the fun is just begining!

I am aware that this comic is based on Rob Liefield's original John Prophet comics series. But readers unfamilar with it do not need to go scouring comic shops or online outlets for back issues because this story is a whole new take on Liefield's work. Indeed the only thing that connects the old and new is the characters name. Brandon Graham had free reigns to create a whole new take on the character - and he has succeeded in leaps and bounds.

Quite simply it is one of the most awesome, brain-boggling (in a good way!) breath-taking, beautiful, bizarre comics I have read! And for a self confessed sciene-fiction geek like myself - an absolute gem!

Highly recommended!
on 31 December 2012
Words like EPIC and LEGENDARY get thrown around a lot; so I'll try something else.

Prophet is a love letter to all fans of grand science fiction, if you find that the genre is all to often oversimplified and narrow in focus (take the de-evolution of star trek for example); this reads like Issac Asimov in return to Oz.

If I had to some it up, I would say it reads like a character study dripping in ideas and scope.

This is simply more grand than a TV series and higher in concept than a movie. Comics feel like the best place to tell and indeed show this kind of story.

I eagerly await the next Volume.
on 12 November 2015
I picked up this series on a recommendation from staff at my local comics; knowing nothing about PROPHET or Brandon Graham or any of the other artists involved and from the first pages I was hooked.

This isn't a series that really shows it's hand until a few issues in and then doesn't even make a clear mission statement until the end of this volume.

Despite how cryptic that sounds the revolving artists are wonderful and the rotation between them only serves to highlight their strengths. The stories contained have minimalist narration and largely leave the reader to piece together backstory or inferences and for someone who is used to scifi explaining every single aspect of a world the reverse approach here is a vast improvement.

I cannot gush hard enough about this series it really is a joy to be experienced. I can't recommend it more highly to anyone looking for something a bit different in their reading.
on 4 March 2016
Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. And that is not always a good thing. Maybe I am too long in the tooth, but I usually like to have some solid narrative behind my stories, and this seemed disjointed. This may be rectified in the following volumes, but I won't be finding out alas.
on 9 October 2012
This book is possibly the best sci-fi comic to grace my shelves. It is fantastically imaginative space opera from a previous era. The strange alien wonder reminds me of Cordwainer Smith, but the pacing is more suitable to modern writing. This is an epic in the making. Please buy it so they'll keep writing more of it!
on 3 February 2017
I'm torn over whether I enjoyed it or didn't. It sits, uneasily in my opinion, between Moebius and Jodorowsky. The art invokes Moebius but never fully captures the intricacy of his style. The world is left maddeningly suggestive but never fully realised. The narrative, such that is, is is vaguely poetic and non-linear, confusingly so at times, and makes the entire work feel like a storyboard for an unrealised Jodorowsky film. Indeed, it feels at times like a homage to works such as Jodorowsky's Incall and Metabarons series (neither of which are to my taste). Do I want to know more? Maybe. But only if I can track down the rest of the series at my library. As it is had I paid full whack for the graphic novel the rating may well have been lower. As it is I bought a used copy for under £3.50.
on 25 January 2014
I picked up 'Prophet' as a gamble and was not disappointed... but my praise is based almost solely on the first three-chapter 'arc' in this collection. This is terrific original stuff and I'd defy any sci-fi or fantasy fan not to be impressed by the original world building here- fans of MAR Barker will see a few similarities. Great art- I can see how others have drawn parallels with Moebius. I'd have preferred an extended run of this arc- especially as the rest of the collection becomes increasingly left field. Not to run down the remainder- but It simply didn't fire my imagination to the same degree. Five stars for the first three chapters- two for the rest.
Despite my misgivings, it's still great to see a creator trying to try something different and original.
on 19 December 2012
Prophet reminded me of old heavy metal stories with weird and violent alien worlds. More recently it is comparable with Saga for the depth of imagination on show.

I've never read anything about this character before and it's really not necessary as although you are given no back story and left to work out what is going on by yourself it is very satisfying when you do so.

There are several independent stories within this volume and the first one is by far the best with some of the others being very abstract but very interested to see where this goes.
on 9 October 2012
This comic book is a fine example of how to do great things even when working with material that was not that great itself. I mean, Prophet was created by the infamous Rob Liefeld and it was a fine exponent of 90's comics... big guns, big muscles, all grimacing, no scripts... Yes, it was absymal.
What we've got here is a more "european" approach to the character and, like some other users said in their reviews, names such as Moebius come to mind inmediately. The writing is good even though the plot is minimal and the artwork is great.
At this price this is a steal. I hope they hold on this direction and I'll keep buying.
on 19 April 2016
Read if you want your head to explode in some pretty awesome story line, concept and writing. Art isn't quite my cuppa tea but I got used to it and pretty damn good, needs a prequel to go into how they ended up like this but ill forgive it for the sheer awesomeness of Prophet.