on 2 February 2016
Ive put off reading Saga for a while now, not because it has the same name of an over 50’s magazine but the synopsis just was not grabbing me despite some of my favourite authors raving about it on social media.

Please note: I have not read any many graphic novels except marvel stuff. Until doing research for review, I had no idea of any of this-

Telling the story of a family escaping an interplanetary war, SAGA is an ongoing comic book series, released monthly by Image Comics. It has won a Hugo Award, a British Fantasy Award, and multiple Eisner and Harvey Awards. All three volumes of SAGA have reached number one on the New York Times best sellers list, and volume one has been in the top ten for more than seventy weeks. – See more at: https://imagecomics.com/content/view/saga-gets-the-deluxe-treament#sthash.LnEHBF6Y.dpuf
As I had been debating over whether to read comic/graphic book Saga. I was presented with the deluxe hardcover on my amazon recommendations for £24.99 (which is an excellent price for a really good quality hardcover.) I thought I would give it a go and I was blown away by how gripped I was. I devoured it in 5 hours and could easily just read it again.

The narrator is the child of a Alana and Marko, whose families have a hatred for each other similar to the capulets and montages.

“If there was ever a time these two got along, nobody remembers it.”

Alana is winged from the largest planet in the galaxy Landfall whilst horned father Marko is native to Wreath Landfalls only satellite. A multicultural relationship between the two is forbidden, so when Alana helps Marko to escape a day before his execution they become fugitives, Marko get the horn and Alana becomes pregnant. The child is narrating in a commentary style from somewhere in the future, these comments add an emotional contrast to some of the more adult goings on. The language suggests Hazel may still be young , she looks on her parents lovingly but sadly as if missing them, that is not reached by the end of this book (hence i don’t see it as a spoiler.)

So why is this rated M, for mature? Brian & Fiona have not been afraid to explore the possibilities of some sci-fi and fantasy perversity and sexploitation including brothel Sextillion where debauch obscenities are emphasised by some pretty awesome art. Furthermore theres violence portrayed by some gory imagery. I couldn’t help thinking if Tarantino wrote a graphic novel, id expect something like this.

The characters these guys have created are brilliant.

The Stalk, a combination of alien spider and female upper body but with more
eyes .

The Still (probably my favourite) reminds me a bit of John McClane from die Hard, he’s badass but he does have a conscious and has a sidekick in the shape of a green sphynx that is known as ‘the lying cat’.

And Prince Robot IV, humanlike body with a television head that often shows him thinking some pretty filthy stuff.

There are many other characters that I will leave as a surprise. Yes this is for an adult audience (do not leave it laying around) but these scenes all work within the context and can be at times erotic if cosplay is your thing. (Except maybe for big balls, don’t look.)

Saga has really impressed me, the art of Fiona Staples is exceptional, whilst the storytelling is engaging with just the right balance of everything as well as addressing many struggles within our own society . Highly recommended.

5/5

Published by image comics. Hardback. 504 pages. ISBN13 9781632150783
on 23 February 2015
I'm in awe of Vaughn and Staple's work. Saga is truly an epic comic series. Having already owned the single issues, I decided to shell out my money to buy this beautiful HC. Although I have rated it 5 stars because of the excellence of the story and world-building, I feel as if the extra content could have been fleshed out a bit more, maybe with character bios or something along those lines? However, I do realise that the series does incorporate flash-backs into its narration to try and flesh out the world and the characters so that's quite a minor gripe.

Complaints about the packing and the quality of the HC do not apply to me as mine is in pristine condition and the pages don't seem to be crinkled. What people must realise is that a normal HC would be 9-10 issues and so would feel a lot more sturdier. Vaughn and Staples are telling a 'Saga' story, and so they have a reason for making the HC so jam packed with 18 issues. I 'think' the purpose is to show the ageing process of Hazel from infant to adult on each cover. The next HC may be smaller in size... However, I find the quality of the book to be great and I think the people complaining may sadly have had isolate incidents.
on 19 April 2017
I thought when I read Low it was possibly one of the best comics I ever read then when I read saga on digital version I had to get a real paper copy. Such a fantastic book. Would recommend to everyone.
on 21 July 2017
So recently I got into comic books and I got the first few volumes of "Saga" in trade. I enjoyed it that much i decided to buy it again through this hardcover version. As some people have pointed out it doesn't have that stiffness when you first open it but I think as long as your not to rough with it this will last a while. For people who are put off by the front cover art then maybe this isn't for you as the inside doesn't hold back on it sexual material. It also has violence and swearing too so not for kids or the faint of heart. As I'm not really effected by any of this i was able to concentrate on the great story and character development and enjoy it. I would describe it as a high budget TV series just artistically put together in a book.
on 10 January 2017
I picked this up solely on the premise of finally getting another story from Brian K Vaughan, and knew nothing of the story when I first got it. First of all the book looks great and is of rare quality for comics. Vibrant colours and solid paper, but more importantly the story is fantastic. Heartwarming, yet actionfilled, funny and intriguing.. everything I want form a comic! Only gripe I have with this is that it's a still ongoing comic, and I need more asap! ;)
on 13 January 2017
Awesome comic book, got a bit graphic in places and contemplated throwing it away. Stabs at many political angles and subjects, and very though provoking. Forced my self to read-through the controversial bits, in the begining and then found I couldn't put it down. Cant wait for next omnibus, a thrilling twisted tail, full of intrigue plot twists and surprises.
on 3 April 2016
I read this based on some brilliant reviews and I'm so pleased I did. It's a wonderful story which I can't wait to continue. I really enjoyed the storyline and also the beautiful artwork.
on 8 June 2017
OH MY GOD THIS SAGA IS THE BEST COMIC I HAVE READ IN A REALLY LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN IS THE EIGHTH ONE COMING OUT PLEASE!! CAN'T WAIT <3
on 16 October 2015
Brilliant art and a riveting story that twists and turns like a snake.

In the top five fiction series I've read in the last ten years, graphic and non-graphic.
on 10 September 2015
One of the best series in comics at the moment. It's so good that I'm glad I waited to buy this deluxe edition before immersing myself in this brilliant new series and I look forward to what comes next!