Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 July 2014
I was not sure about reviewing this book as I have not yet completed my first project, but here goes. I ordered the book because I fell in love with the quilt on the front cover. I am new to patchwork on this scale having only previously tackled an appliqué and patchwork cushion from Lynette Andersons book Country Cottage quilting and found that I much preferred the appliqué process to the patchwork! Playful Petals is an excellent book for the novice. There is good basic advice about both patchwork and appliqué. I particularly like the clear fabric requirements and cutting guide for each quilt or cushion. I still needed a bit of extra advice from my local patchwork shop. I bought a cutting mat and rotary cutter to tackle the quilt accurately and am using fabric from French Generals 'Le Bouquet Francais' for the petals. So far it looks beautiful! There are possibly 2 other quilts in the book which I will consider making in the future. The quilt on the cover is extremely simply quilted, I am not sure the more intricate quilting on some of the designs in the book is going to be my thing. To sum up: if you are fairly new to patchwork, don't want to tackle a very complex design and want to see your quilt blocks develop quickly, this is a good book for you.
on 23 June 2014
I really like this book. Don't be put off by the fact its based on one shape - petals. There are so many different ways to utilise this basically simple shape - very versatile indeed.
I personally love the use of modern prints in the quilts but I think a lot of them would work well in quieter more traditional prints too.
Excellent service and price from this seller too - will definitely buy from again.
on 21 March 2014
I love Corey Yoder's work so was happy to get this book. I was not disappointed. The book revolves around her petal template (included in the book, it's not a separate buy) and I couldn't believe all the different ways she has of using it.

There are 9 project sets in the book - each consisting of a quilt and a cushion. Each of them are lovely, fresh and modern and I think anyone could tackle them.

The book starts with an introduction to machine applique and shows you a few different ways of tackling it. All the projects use fusible web, which is my preferred method. There are also tips and instructions for making blocks and finishing quilts.

If you like Corey's style, I'd definitely recommend this book.
on 22 May 2014
I love this book. The ideas are lovely and easy to do. Each of the quilts are different and the same shapes create different squares.

Delivery was as described and the book arrived in excellent condition
on 2 June 2016
A visually beautiful book. Lots of scrummy quilts to ogle over. Some look a little challenging for a newbie like me, but I suspect with concentration & reading the instructions over & over could be doable. The quilt highlighted in the cover is what first caught my eye & im already purchasing fabric to make it.
on 5 October 2014
Beautiful designs that i can't wait to get going with! Love the simplicity and striking results, and just want to go buy fabrics:)
on 13 July 2014
Really enjoyed this refreshing book and have made use of several of the patterns
on 24 November 2014
Havent had time yet to try any of the patterns but looks very interesting
on 9 June 2016
Great book , looking forward to getting started .
on 20 February 2015
Great book, Easy quilting!