Customer reviews

on 8 April 2017
Delivered on time and very well packaged. The book is essentially about quilting, but there are no references to tradional quilting patterns. These works are for hanging on the walls. Inspiration comes from nature, trees, rock formations, foliage. Assignments for the reader include colour choices, group working and free motion quilting designs. The author uses her local area as a constant source of big ideas, and encourages readers to do the same. This book makes you think!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 21 November 2012
I cannot stress this enough - GO AND BUY THIS BOOK. One look at the front cover and I was hooked. Jean never disappoints. Great use of colour and design. Jean takes us through making a large quilt. She then gives tips and techniques on how to capture inspiration and use colour with good design practice. She introduces imagery and embellishment. There are assignments throughout the book, so it's just like being in a workshop. We can all do it - Jean takes her inspiration from nature, this book is full of photos that you or I could have taken. This level of work is achievable with patience, endurance and gifts from God. To say I loved this is an understatement. It's one of my top ten quilt books ever. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.
on 17 January 2013
great lots of lovely ideas, really good tips on design and the use of colour, pushes the boundries with lovely results.
on 14 July 2013
This book is not one on quilting techniques but on how to find and use you inspiration. I read it from cover to cover first. Every so often there are little assignments which are not intimidating and often begin with 'Set aside time this week....', 'Take an hour this week....' and best of all 'Just for fun, get a group of friends together.'. Jean even suggests how to do this online. The earlier assignments do not involve sewing, more sorting through, looking, changing scales etc all in preparation for the gems you might create towards the end of the book. The illustrations are excellent and it is worth having the book just to admire Jean's own work. I have convinced two friends to buy the book and we are beginning to work through all the assignments together. They didn't need much convincing once they had seen my copy! Thank you Jean
on 8 June 2013
This book helps to analyse the design source, giving new ideas to try. I have already been inspired by it in the design of my latest art quilt.
on 10 September 2013
I am delighted with this book. Jean introduces the reader to an individual way of looking at quilting. She guides us through how to create a quilt that will be both unique and personal to the maker. Jean is an enabler, after reading this book I feel equipped and able to produce a quilt using my own ideas.
on 6 August 2014
Jean Wells is an incredible textile artist who takes inspiration from her environment and landscapes and works them into beautiful textile art. Her books are easy to follow and inspirational and her influence has changed the way I look at my artwork and I have 'learnt' to be creative, see things differently and interpret them into my textile projects. Fantastic book from an unique artist.
on 11 October 2015
Yet another interesting book I bought from Amazon. My bookshelves are bending under the amount of quilting books
I bought. I intended to de-clutter my bookshelf, but find I just can't part with any of these books!
on 22 June 2016
Great book, just what I need to get me motivated and working in a productive, organised way.
on 7 December 2015
Very interesting book. Would have liked a little more guidance on quilt construction.