on 10 January 2013
I have followed Jills blog bybido on blogspot [...]
I love her creations and stories of family life whilst making. For years I have coverted her dolls and waiting for her to produce or sell a pattern in order to make them for my 3 neices. It was Jill who inspired me to get the Mary Frances book.
Therefore I was excited when this book was coming out.
I am not disappointed. It is in Jills usual clear and consise words with lots of diagrams and pcitures to help you make and create some of her patterns and ideas that her own kids love and cherish. The patterns at the back are great addition too. this books is great for those experienced and easy to use for beginners and Kids could have a go as well.

I would say to anyone who loves making for & with their children and others - buy this book and follow her blog. She is inspiring, funny and a truely wonderful lady.
on 8 January 2013
I follow Jill Hamor's blog and was thrilled when this book was released. There isn't a pattern in the book that I don't want to make. The directions for embroidering the faces and making the hair are solid and very detailed, and there is a page showing the embroidery stitches to use. The templates are full size which is great as there is no faffing on with scanners and printing. The toys are all adorable and would suit a range of ages of children.

Like the previous reviewer I was concerned that the materials used would be hard to source as the author is American, but this is not the case. Kona cotton is available in many fabric stores in the UK, and whilst the yarn the author suggests is not available here to my knowledge there are may good substitutions here like Sirdar Big Softie or Rowan Big Wool for chunky hair, or Malabrigo Merino Worsted, Stitch Nation for less chunky hair. Even thinner mohair is widely available so it's good news on that front.

There is only one minor aspect that I felt the book lacked. I am not a beginner to sewing, and have made Waldorf Dolls and quilts and feel that there could have been a more detailed description of sewing techniques used, one particular technique being darts. This technique is used quite a lot in the book and a brief description of how to apply this would have been useful. There is the web though for this information and it really is only a minor flaw.

All in all I would definitely recommend this book.
on 29 May 2013
This is such a useful book. Has everything you need to make cloth dolls. Well written with easy to follow instructions and patterns. You won't regret buying it. I especially like the embroidered faces which have clear, close-up photos to guide you.
on 28 December 2012
I bought this book to try my hand at doll making having seen some beautiful dolls made locally. At first glance this looked to be an ideal book although I am slightly disappointed that it is not all dolls but animals too. However the explanations seem clear and there are plenty of diagrams and templates/patterns in the book as well as tips on what materials to use although since the author is American they may prove difficult to trace in the UK going on past experience.
on 13 April 2013
Smashing book with good clear instruction, so as a beginner will be straight forward for me to follow (hopefully) going to love this, looking forward to getting stuck in.
on 15 December 2013
I bought this book thinking that it would be a mix of dolls and puppets. Thinking that I would be able to make presents for all my nieces and nephews. However, it is mainly dolls. I returned it.
on 21 April 2014
Rabbit pattern is ideal for making a Velveteen Rabbit style toy and the other dolls and patterns will keep me busy for ages. Prompt delivery too.
on 18 March 2016
This is a lovely book. So far I've only made Humpty Dumpty. I would like to make most of the projects in this book. The instructions are good. I'm in the Uk and I am not familiar with using freezer paper so I will need to get used to that. The quality of the paper and illustrations make this a beautiful book to hold and use. The information about hair styling etc and practical advice on how to get a doll with a pleasant looking face is invaluable. I highly recommend this book
on 25 March 2013
This is a lovely book ,very easy to follow and complete projects ,you will want to make them all,you will be eager to start sewing .
on 26 October 2014
A really lovely book. It has lots of dolls and some very attractive animals. Some of the instructions could have been a bit more explicit, but if you are an experienced sewer you can figure most things out instinctively anyway. I have made the bunny toy and it is just gorgeous. I sewed mine with sleeping eyes in embroidery thread as it is for a baby and it makes it even cuter. Can't wait to make some of the other items.