TOP 50 REVIEWERon 21 November 2012
Does your sewing machine have a mind of its very own when you try to free-motion quilt? Are you always breaking needles? You need this book. It will help you achieve professional results in no time. Natalia presents over 50 visual tutorials and there are 6 modern quilts to try out your new found skills. I was impressed by the content of this fabulous quilt book. It starts with the basics - equipment, fabrics, thread tension, sampling. I love the way this book does not assume you know anything - it starts with straight line quilting and squaring up. The instructions are easy to follow, with excellent photos and great tips. Each tutorial builds your skills. Sections include all-over, background, borders and custom quilting. Each design has several patterns you'll want to get familiar with. There's also a great section for quilting on applique. The six quilt projects are contemporary and fun. There's also information on binding. Right at the back, there are full size patterns for free-motion quilting, which really made this book a must for me. Highly recommended to improve your free-motion quilting skills. This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics website.
on 3 September 2013
FOR WHOM IS THE BOOK?
The beginner quilter, but not the beginner patchworker. How to handle various tools and materials needed to produce a quilt top aren't described at all in this book.

THE SECTIONS AND CHAPTERS:
Section 1. Focus on quilting:
Ch.1 Machine Quilting Basics
Ch.2 Allover Quilting: loops, swirls, feathers, flames, circles.
Ch.3 Background Fillers: pebbles, cobblestones, wood grain, clams, swirls, microstipple.
Ch.4 Borders and Sashings: feathers, circles, swirls, ovals, flowers, leaves, hearts, figure 8's, S's.
Ch.5 Custom Quilted Blocks: feathers, arcs, swirls, motifs in plain blocks.
Ch.6 Quilting on Appliqué: veins, circles, swirled center.

Section 2. Six quilt projects to make:
Ch.7-12: Amazed (84"x84"), Round and Round (71"x77 1/2"), Orange Slices (64"x64"), Twisted Up (80"x80"), Daisy Drop (67 7/8" x 67 7/8"), Happy Dots (80"x80").
Ch.13 Binding

Section 3. Quilting patterns:
50 full-size patterns to use as templates.

WEAKNESSES AND STRENGTHS:
- Chapter 1 covers the basics of machine quilting, but there are almost no photos, which isn't very helpful for the visual learner. For this reason I would recommend the book to someone, who has perhaps made a quilt top or two already, but has sent them to a professional quilter.
- Swirls are mentioned in chapters 2, 3, and 4, which creates overlap. When a quilting pattern is as similar as the three presented versions, I think it would be beneficial to structure the book differently. I'd prefer to see how the same swirls could be used all over, as background fillers and in borders all on the same page of the book. In other words, I don't feel there are as many patterns as 50+.
- The quilting is presented in lovely close-ups and there are many explanations to go with them. Quilting corners of borders and on appliqué are also addressed, which deserves a thumb up from me.
- The pages of the book are clearly structured and easy to navigate. Colours and typefaces are well used.
- The six quilt projects are great practice projects for the different kinds of quilting patterns presented in the book. Some of them are quite girly, but luckily I know a girl or two, who would appreciate her very own quilt.

This book is meticulously put together and contains lots of tips and tricks on how to quilt on a machine at home, but I am a visual learner, which makes ch.1 slightly difficult to grasp for a beginner, and I also question the decision to repeat some of the quilting patterns in several places. If a friend would like to start patchworking and quilting, I'd add Elizabeth Hartman's "The Practical Guide to Patchwork" to the gift.
on 23 June 2017
Seems to cover most necessary areas, but could have done with more illustrations.
on 2 April 2013
This does exactly what it says on the box! Clear, precise instructions. I am a very new quilter and after following the book I have produced some lovely quilted fabrics.
on 3 July 2013
Love this book, it has given me the courage to try free motion machine quilting. Its full of well illustrated instructions and I cant wait to give it a go! I'm new to quilting and this book shows many beautiful quilting patterns and how to achieve them. In the past I have only managed 'stitch in the ditch' but this book is inspiring.
on 30 August 2013
Great book, clear, concise guide with great directional diagrams to help you master the art of free motion. One of the better books of its kind and very useful to use on kindle.
on 4 December 2012
this has got tho be one of the best books ever for free motion quilting some gr8 tips to im not much of a reader but this book held my attention
plus it arrived really prompt thank you
on 27 March 2013
I found this book a good guide if you haven't done any free motion quilting and it is always next to my machine when I attempt to have a go as I have have never attempted to do free motion. It gives me confidence to have a go
on 13 November 2014
I found this book well written easy to follow and very informative I can't wait to practice after reading I don't feel as frightened to try these techniques Thank You Natalie well worth the price paid would 'recommend to all
on 30 June 2013
This book is really useful to me as a beginner, I attended a half day class prior to getting it and it fills in all the gaps, gave me lots of different pattern ideas. Good technique reminder.