Customer reviews

on 8 July 2012
I bought this book to take part in a Quilting Bee based upon the slab technique outlined in the beginning of the book. In addition, I have found that the book provides a welcome respite from the heavy investment in expensive quilting cotton required by many quilting publications. The authors are at pains to explain that the premise of the quilt patterns provided are to use up scraps, and provide excellent advice on organising your scraps to get maximum usage. The patterns provided range in difficulty from beginner to advanced intermediate. Unlike many quilting publications, the authors provide information and close-up photographs of the quilting for each pattern, along with their reasons for selecting the various quilting patterns.

I would definitely recommend this book to relatively new quilters who are beginning to build up a store of scraps but have not yet worked out what to do with them.
on 4 January 2015
Love this book. The teaching bit at the front is well worth absorbing no matter what your experience. I'm fairly new to quilting so read all I can. Even though I am a very experienced tailor, I have learned something new every time i pick a book up. This is better than many for instruction. The projects are great, though I think absolute beginners may shy away from making strip quilts, their very appearance looks like a lot of sewing......don't be! The rules of all sewing projects are simple and universal, choose design, fabric, correct thread, plenty of room for cutting, correct tools ( all in the book! ) accurate measurements, careful cutting, and combined with accurate seaming and careful machining, pressing religiously as you go and you will make anything from a bespoke suit to one of these marvellous quilts!
on 17 November 2016
What a lovely simple book for making scrap quilts. The effects are quite different to piecing edges and corners. Really refreshing slant placing cut shapes set apart from each other making a very attractive and quick quilt. Lots of ideas to try.
on 20 March 2017
Great quilt book,suitable for the beginner to the more experienced Quilter.
on 7 March 2017
Excellent
on 19 June 2012
What an amazing book this is! Full of gorgeous quilt eye candy and yet a real book that actually makes me want to use my scraps!! I can see me making quilts from this book!
on 12 May 2012
not sure what the title means, but this book has lots of lovely ideas for using up those scraps of fabrics as well as larger pieces. The instructions are clear and precise and the photos are lovely. I bought this book for the ideas rather than the quilt making, but now I might just be inspired.
on 14 June 2012
What a great book. Lots of practical advice on how to sort your fabrics and wonderful ideas for some modern quilts. Can't wait to get started.
on 10 February 2013
I've been quilting around 2 years. I like more modern quilts. The quilts in this book really inspired me. I have lots of quilting books; but this is one of my favourites for ideas and motivation.
on 14 April 2014
If you like scrappy, modern quilts and are new to quilting this book is a really good place to start. There are clear instructions, both about quilt-making and for all the individual quilts. The Kindle edition is easy to navigate and there is a link for downloadable templates where these are required which saves all the problem of trying to recreate templates from ebooks. The style of the writing is upbeat and made me smile. They have good suggestions for a novice quilt maker (and even for those with more experience) about fabric choice and sorting fabrics. There was only one place where I would have liked to know why they had chosen a certain approach, but that was personal preference and it did not detract from the book. Well worth the money.