on 17 January 2013
This book has lots of modern, colourful and sophisticated bags. I have the bag books by Amy Butler, Lisa Lam and Tanya Whelan and this one contains the most number of bags I liked - the designs are not fussy and the fabric choices are really nice (I recognised Echino and Amy Butler). It's probably not great for a complete beginner because it's really slim on techniques and hardly explains anything at all about interfacing, or how to do zip or pocket insertion etc (for that kind of thing, the Lisa Lam book seems to be the best). But it's a beautiful book to look at, very inspiring and the bags are not that challenging to make once you've made a couple.
8 people found this helpful
on 30 January 2013
Gorgeous book with lots of really useable designs. A nice 'how to' explaining basic techniques that you will need at the front (how to insert a magnetic clasp looks particularly useful to me as I've not done that before) and a variety of projects marked with 1-3 for difficulty levels. Level 1 should be simple enough for a complete beginner. If you can sew a straight line on a machine you will be fine! All instructions look easy to follow. Great photos of each style all made in beautiful print fabrics that will inspire you. There's a good range of styles too - from simple clutches, small cross-body bags, to larger shoppers and totes. There are patterns to trace off in the back and all of the designs look easily adaptable so you could personalise and amend to your taste. All in all I am so pleased I found this book and I can't wait to get making now!
on 26 April 2013
I have already made two of the bags in this book and found the instructions really easy to follow. I will be making more very soon and I am using my favourite one (the Elva Bag) all the time because it is so comfortable to wear over my shoulder and carries everything which is essential for my day to day routine. I have received complements for this one and people thought I had bought it, it looks so professional and stylish. There are really easy patterns for beginners, and the styles are graded for difficulty so it is easy to choose the right one for you. I would recommend this book to someone who has a sewing machine and already has a basic knowledge of sewing techniques because then you can get straight in and make something wonderful. Have to go now because I really need to sew .....
3 people found this helpful
on 20 June 2012
I am very pleased with this book. It has a range of modern bags, from very large to small, with simple instructions and helpful tips that even a seasoned bag maker might find useful. The patterns are on a tear out section at the back of the book and could be photocopied, if you like to keep your patterns in pristine condition.
I feel that many of the bags in this book will appeal to younger people, from teenagers upwards and I look forward to extending my range with a number of projects from this book.
3 people found this helpful
on 21 May 2013
I love this book.
There are a lot of different types of bag in it. They are, as the name suggests, classic in style. Not too many frills and lacy bits. Just the style I like.
They are broken down by size and range from a sunglasses case to a large carry-all. I have made three of the styles already and the patterns are easy to follow and clear.
on 12 April 2013
I bought this book after reading the reviews and I am really pleased with it. Although experienced with sewing (I already have several bag-making books) I have not really sewn for some time and this has provided lots of inspiration-lovely modern bags ,clear instructions-I think that my machine is going to be very well used over the next few weeks! Highly recommended.
It also arrived VERY quickly-well done Amazon!
on 27 October 2014
This book is excellent and has done lovely styles. At last I have the hobo bag instructions I've been looking for. My only gripe is that I bought the kindle version and am unable to get the patterns and so I now have to buy the paper back version.
on 9 July 2012
I love this book!I have already made two of the bags and am delighted with the outcome. The instructions are very clear, the pattern pieces fit together well, and the result is beautiful!
4 people found this helpful
on 5 June 2014
I have only flicked through book and the bags looks fab. Unfortunately the kindle edition doesn't seem to have the template's as a pdf with it. If anyone can help???
on 26 March 2014
most useful in that it covers aspects of bag design that brings everything up to date, well written and great photos.