on 13 May 2014
OMG... so many beautiful designs to choose from...each one has an unique pattern and design....there is not one pattern in this book that I will not attempt....a book to droll over many times....I pick it up and re read the stories......Alice Starmore has created a stunning book that should hit the headlines in the knitting world..Love it to bits a fantastic book....the cover in itself is so touchable I do not want this left on the coffee table to be messed with
on 17 June 2017
Beautiful book, I love it and it looks nice on the coffee table!
on 17 September 2017
An absolute must for all lovers of beautiful designs and historic patterns. To be left in full view!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 March 2014
This is not your average book of knitting patterns.
Originally published a number of years ago, it is also not just a new edition. The whole book and all the patterns have been revisited, revised and reviewed and the result is a beautiful, cloth-bound book worthy of any coffee table… and yet many of the patterns do not seem out of the realm of coming to life in the hands of a reasonably well-versed knitter (which I didn't expect - I thought it would all be so intricate I'd hardly dare even try a pattern, but not so!).
It's eye-candy and practical all at the same time; each of the patterns has thought and point behind it, being inspired by women in Tudor history and imagined by two women (mother and daughter themselves) who have really considered who each was and what each garment pattern represents. It is eminently readable.
I'm smitten.
on 14 March 2017
I was delighted to get the opportunity to read this new edition of Tudor Roses featuring new and reimagined items based on the original edition. 14 different garments for 14 different Tudor women from Alice Starmore and her daughter Jade, it is not just a book of knitting patterns, it is a book giving you a unique insight into each woman with absolutely stunning photographs and a new model for each woman. The patterns are gorgeous and intricately detailed, as you would expect from Alice Starmore. My one big criticism is that several of the pictures featured dark clothes shot on a black background and it was impossible to truly see the details in them, however, that was the exception rather than the rule.

*I received an ARC from Netgalley, the review is my own opinion.*
on 26 January 2014
This book is superb. The history is well researched, the storylines for each character beautifully written, and the patterns are incredible. This would make a wonderful book for anyone to look through, not just knitters. Indeed, I think many of the patterns are probably too complex for the inexperienced knitter, more aspirational targets for a journeyman piece. I forgot to mention the photography, the models, the accessorising clothing are all evocative eye-candy, and when my knitting mojo deserts me I shall revisit the stories and patterns in this inspirational book.
on 10 April 2017
Maravilloso.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 May 2017
My problem is with the way this book is presented in the reading preview: there are virtually no photos of the designs! Indeed, for a short time, on the basis of the printed material I thought I had strayed into a history book put in the wrong section. To enable me to decide whether or not I want to buy this book it would help if I could see a bit of some of the designs, or a couple of designs in full, but there is almost nothing. I appreciate that people might try to copy the designs, but I think that is a small risk that any writer/designer has to take in any practical area such as knitting patterns. I'm not going to buy something sight unseen.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 April 2014
Just one thing to note - this is a very big book, too tall for most book shelves! That said it is a thing of beauty from the cloth binding to the multiple full colour plates of each garment. A lovely coffe table book of tudor inspired yet wearable patterns. You may wish to visit the website too [...] as they have some alternative colour suggestions for some of the knits. I knitted Alice Starmores Maud set as a first ever fairisle project, and am very happy with the result despite have had no help from anywhere except the pattern, unless you include post-it notes to keep your place on the pattern. I shall definately be knitting one of these soon, just have to decide which one first!
on 1 December 2014
Didn't expect the book to be the old-fashioned gets sticky when damp covering.
Too much thought in making this a beautiful object and not enough in making it clear what the patterns are - I hate it when darkish patterns are photographed in an atmospheric way rather than in decent lighting where you can clearly see what you are about to spend a considerable amount of time & money creating
But great patterns.