Customer reviews

on 20 March 2014
This is not your average book of knitting patterns.
Originally published a number of years ago, it is also not just a new edition. The whole book and all the patterns have been revisited, revised and reviewed and the result is a beautiful, cloth-bound book worthy of any coffee table… and yet many of the patterns do not seem out of the realm of coming to life in the hands of a reasonably well-versed knitter (which I didn't expect - I thought it would all be so intricate I'd hardly dare even try a pattern, but not so!).
It's eye-candy and practical all at the same time; each of the patterns has thought and point behind it, being inspired by women in Tudor history and imagined by two women (mother and daughter themselves) who have really considered who each was and what each garment pattern represents. It is eminently readable.
I'm smitten.
on 7 March 2014
This is a beautiful book with stunning designs. Each design is accompanied by a short story attempting to give an insight into each of the Tudor Ladies who inspired the creations. The patterns are not for novice knitters but I think they will give motivation to those who wish to further their skills. Even If you never manage to knit any of the designs, this book will still be a joy to have.
on 10 March 2014
My partner opened the parcel and thought this was an art book. I've never seen a knitting book like this - beautiful photos but the garments really shine through and are photographed from all views so you can really see the cut and fit.

The patterns are quite complex, even for an experienced knitter. There are several patterns that I plan to knit but the sizes are for shorter women, so careful planning is needed.

The yarns used are gorgeous.

An expert knitter will be spoiled for choice. A novice will have something to aspire to.
on 4 April 2014
not for the fainthearted, but the design and construction of these garments is actually simpler than you imagine at first glance. Patience and perseverance will be needed, but every one has that understated "wow" factor that is just Alice!.
on 19 July 2014
Extraordinarily beautiful book. I have already started on three of the patterns and have only had the book for less than a week. The patterns are very well presented and if you have reasonable knitting skills are not as difficult as they may look. I thoroughly recommend this book to ANY knitter.
on 13 May 2014
OMG... so many beautiful designs to choose from...each one has an unique pattern and design....there is not one pattern in this book that I will not attempt....a book to droll over many times....I pick it up and re read the stories......Alice Starmore has created a stunning book that should hit the headlines in the knitting world..Love it to bits a fantastic book....the cover in itself is so touchable I do not want this left on the coffee table to be messed with
on 17 June 2017
Beautiful book, I love it and it looks nice on the coffee table!
on 10 April 2017
Maravilloso.
on 27 November 2014
I Purchased this book as part of a Christmas gift for my mother and it arrived today , well packed and in bubble wrap .

I only had a quick glance but is absolutely breathtaking . Much larger than your average book with and amazing cover shot . I have to admit I didn't take a lot of time to look into the book but a quick flick and they are all stunning and different creations I love it and im hoping mother will too .

Of course I will take time to have a look into the book and see if there is anything I would like to make but its a lovely book and nice to see our names "Catherine" and the knits for those .5 stars out of 5 !!
on 18 March 2016
I don't usually bother with leaving reviews,but I felt I had to on this book.
I'd been dithering about buying yet another knitting book, (my bookshelves are groaning with a multitude of books...there is no way in the world that I could possibly knit all the patterns I posess..) but the designs I'd seen won me over...they looked fresh and elegant,and just a cut above the ordinary.
When I received the book ,I was totally bowled over-the photos were beautifully produced,and each pattern's character had a storyline behind it, as well as a look into the background history of the Tudor women who inspired these pieces.
This isn't your ordinary pattern book,it's a work of art grounded in history..
I look forward to attempting at least a couple of the pieces