on 4 July 2017
I bought this collection of stories for the illustrations with the tales and I wasn't disappointed. A very lovely edition.
on 5 December 2011
Bought this as a gift and want one for myself.

I haven't read it, obviously, but flicking through it looks like a collection of intriguing tales.

Despite some reviews to the contrary, I love the paper. It's thick and textured, making you feel like a kid in an attic, discovering it for the first time. Beautiful cotton cover.

The book contains lovely black and white prints and page decoration, not just the full page colour plates. Once again, I think these are beautifully presented. The paper makes the colours seem richer. They aren't glossy plates, which I prefer because it means you can see all the details without the light bouncing off the page.

A perfect book to treasure.
on 25 August 2011
Don't get me wrong - this is a lovely book of several unusual Norse fairy tales and is well-produced compared to many cheaply printed editions flogged in discount bookstores these days. However, despite the good size and paper quality, the quality of the print is decidedly lacking and does not do justice to Kay Nielsen's stunning illustrations. If you compare this edition with that of the Folio Society who reproduce all the colour plates and black and white illustrations far more finely (and in a far more beautiful binding with protective slipcase), you'll see a huge difference.
on 20 October 2009
This is an incredible book. It contains 16 very Norse feeling fairy tales of varying length, but no very well known ones (apart from a rather fabulous version of Billy Goats Gruff), which is exellent because, for me, they were pretty much all new and exiting.
The book was much bigger than I expected, measuring 18cm by 25cm, and is printed with quite large, widely spaced text on thick creamy paper.
The illustrations are utterly and compleatly stunning, with 25 colour plates and many black and white illustrations by the brilliant Kay Nielsen.
I would recommend anyone to buy it, especially for a child. I would probably have fainted with joy if I had been given this book when I was younger, and certainly now, at 17, I will treasure it for a long, long time.
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2010
The previous reviewers have almost said it all. This book is absolutely sumptuous and you will undoubtedly want to treasure it forever. It's so good that it seems churlish to criticise but actually I'd have been happier if it had been printed on thinner paper - this stuff is as thick as a Cornflakes packet and consequently the pages don't lie flat.

The illustrations are first rate and there's a good selection of stories - a couple of which are quite inspired but the text written in 1920, in a deliberately antique style, is a little leaden. Girls are often referred to as 'lassies' which tends to make me think of a certain dog.

On balance I reckon this a book for grown ups more than kids. However all this is nit picking and I can't bring myself to give a book this beautiful only four stars.
on 16 June 2011
Overall, the build quality is high.
Though the mediocre quality of the colored illustrations (only) is surprising; the print here is too dark and doesn't give justice to Nielsen's thin details.
on 29 August 2009
I am absolutely enchanted by this ravishing book. The illustrations alone are worth the cost. If you add on the clear, well-spaced printing and the simplicity of the story-telling, you have a book to treasure all your life.
on 14 March 2015
Poor quality reproduction on poor quality paper, no pleasure whatsoever, returning book. Very disappointed
on 23 October 2012
Worth every penny and more! Gorgeous book! Illustrations are wonderful. But the fairy tales themselves - so dark, so deep! LOVED THEM! Not suitable as a bed story reading for your toddlers - might scarred them for life. Being Russian, I recognised few slightly changed slavonic myths in these tales. All written in such beautiful language! Really happy with this book :0)
on 9 January 2015
A beautiful book that begs to be lifted in any spare moment just for the outlandish intricacies of Nielsen's illustrations. The print is large and easy to read and the illustrations are numerous; both Black and white and colour. There is no dust jacket, but the binding,printing and paper are excellent quality.