on 17 November 2015
brilliant!
on 5 December 2011
Lots to read, but in a simple layout. You can come and go back to the book as a point of reference. It will be of interest to anyone who is going to WDW, especially those that have been before, and want to understand the other side of Disney, and see the park from a different angle. It is very informative and explains what the thought process is behind each thing added into the parks. Very interesting. I have been six times, and have never noticed 90% of the things the book points out, and i can not wait to go again shortly, with the book in hand to discover a whole new WDW. It covers all four of the major parks in Orlando. Enjoy.
on 24 August 2009
As a first timer to WDW (going Easter 2010) I am reading up as much as I can about WDW to enhance my (and my families) experience. We did DLP last year and used one of Susans (and Simons) guide books which we found fab.

This book is great. There are some nice little niggets of info, all of which I will be looking for when we go. I found the history behind the parks and the lengths the creators went to to develop the various places and lands astounding. The book has certainly opened my eyes and enhanced the magic and excitiment of going to WDW. I have read other WDW info which I found to be long winded and quite boring in fact, whereas Susan's down to earth style is more absorbable and enjoyable.

I tend to agree with the other report above that some photos of the "secrets" or even photos of the parks etc would have enhanced the book no end, but I take on Simons comments about this. I do think that the text only layout of the book lets it down slightly (and I do stress the slightly) but this is the only negative I could find.

On the whole a good, informative read from the view of a WDW first timer, but I will add that my friend who is going for her 5th or 6th visit in October has borrowed it as she said it looked interesting. Some of the bits I told her about she didn't know about either.
on 8 May 2013
Love this book - bought a paperback version of it some years ago and downloaded it again this year on the kindle to make it easier to carry about!

Could do with updating tho (otherwise would have been 5 stars) as some of the things are very out of date.
on 10 April 2013
We bought a hard copy of this book but forgot to take it with us so downloaded while we were away to read on the Kindle in the parks. Was a great buy - each of the Disney parks has it's own detailed chapter, each with a synopsis at the beginning if you're short on time. We've been to Disney three times now so had the time to spare to read through it and look at some of the things it was suggesting. If you're going for the first time you might be better enjoying all the experiences than using this book as a bible.
on 25 March 2013
Would recommend this book to anyone visiting Disneyland. It brings all the magic of the parks and memories back once you have visited. An enjoyable read
on 18 March 2011
As a family who have visited WDW many times we are always on the lookout for new reference books to make our visit even more exciting and to help improve the "Magic". I purchased this as we are great fans of the Brits Guide so we know that Susan knows her stuff. I was immediately disappointed with the lack of photographs but I can appreciate Simons message about the expense. However a little colour would have been nice and it would have made it easier to navigate. Strangely enough I found the book more interesting the more I read. I think that may be because Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are more recent additions so appear to have more secrets to be told! The book is written in a very chatty style which I found easy to read.

We know all about hidden mickeys but there are lots of little extras that we have passed by even though I thought I was a brilliant Disney observer so I now can't wait for our next visit to try out some of the hints and tips to reveal some hidden gems that I have missed!
on 14 July 2009
In a saturated market full of Disney World guide/secret books, this one really stands out. If you're a first-time visitor you will enhance your trip by 100%, and if (like me!) you're a 'many-timer' you will stop and appreciate the parks like never before (even if you thought you knew all there was to know!). Written with passion and a dedication to the original vision of the Imagineers, this book re-creates the magic of Disney World without spoiling it and is a must for anyone who loves the parks and all their glorious detail.
on 9 July 2011
I read the excerpt and decided to buy it. I am not a fan of Susan and Simon's Brits Guide as I feel there is quite a lot of information missing that I would have found useful to know when I first visited, so I was somewhat sceptical of this book.

A lot of the information can be found on Disney related websites but many of the 'secrets' I hadn't come across before. I also liked the information given in the timeline of the parks, particularly as I have been visiting for nearly 20 years, and found it concise and easy to read.

I actually like Susan's chatty and informal style of writing in this book, again making it very easy and fun to read.

My only criticism is that it could have been printed in a smaller font size, therefore less pages, which would have made it ideal to carry around the parks to check up on the secrets to find. Rather than taking the book, I would be more likely to make a note of the things to find.

If you are a first-timer to the parks you may find it quite time-consuming to find everything mentioned in the book, and with the absence of photos quite difficult too.

For people that have visited before and are willing to take time out of marching from ride to ride, I think this book would be ideal.
on 30 July 2009
I was so excited when I heard this book was being written and I order it immediately. I did expect it to be more punchy and there are a few well known 'secrets' that are not included in this book which I was quite surprised about. I think if you used it in the park you would have to take time out to read each page (especially in Epcot)and maybe it would be better to present the facts in more of a list style. HOWEVER, it does make for a good read and I am glad I purchased it. I would recommend it but I'm still on the look out for that definative guide that can accompany me around the parks ensuring I miss none of the tiny details that make WDW so very magical.