Customer reviews

on 14 June 2017
Very comprehensive, detailed book. It does address municipal plantings quite a lot, but that was interesting and there was still plenty for me to take away as a home gardener designing a new area of the garden. The ideas would be more difficult to apply if you already have well-established borders that you are mostly happy with, however!
on 26 April 2017
The perfect book for me, it was exactly what I was looking for! It is clear and exceptionally informative with some inspirational photography. It will really help me to properly plan and plot my new herbaceous border. Very impressed by the whole product so much so that when in Holland the other week I was inspired to go to see one of Piet Oudolf's gardens in Utrecht. I shall go again in November to see how it changes over the seasons.
on 10 September 2017
Perhaps a controversial approach which opposes much traditional wisdom about block planting. An emphasis on an ecological approach
on 2 March 2017
This is a wonderful book.
on 30 April 2013
I bought this book hoping that it would help give me some inspiration with a contemporary garden planting plan for a new quirky garden that we have just had landscaped. It is full of very detailed, technical garden planting information, that is aimed more towards the professional garden designer/landscaper on a large scale. I found some of the information useful, but it is rather too over complicated, heavy going and intense for my taste and enjoyment. Some good photos.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2013
Everything the previous writers said is true and yet I found it hard to take anything from this book and use it in an everyday garden situation.

It is intense reading and has to be read again and again to appreciate just how exquisitely every statement has been perfectly weighed and judged by Noel Kingsbury. It is the most careful, thought through and detailed analysis of modern developments in ornamental planting that exists today. And worthy reading for that alone.

But these techniques are more relevant to the planning of large public spaces than the surburban semi. In the UK's cash strapped local environement, where our public parks and spaces are surely in need of a face-lift, this book points the way to a brighter future. And we should all be grateful to Noel, Piet and other practitioners in this field who are pushing the boundaries.

Am I glad I bought and read this book - Yes I am. Mightily! Can I apply it to my humble garden patch - No.
on 3 October 2014
Excellent book! The writers are generous in sharing their knowledge learnt through many years. It is a very serious approach and a very useful tool for designers and enthusiasts willing to learn.
I would love to find more books with this level of accomplishment.
on 21 August 2013
Lovely book great visuals both pictures and planting plans. Refers to planting schemes all over the world, but the ones in this country will encourage me to visit them where possible
on 13 March 2014
Very informative with planting plans too.
Would recommend this to anyone who is thinking of preparing to do some prairie planting.
on 3 June 2014
But this really is a book crammed with a ton of useful and enlightening information. I really enjoyed this book and it is really an essential part of a gardener's library.