on 30 August 2015
Companion to Teaming with Microbes, it follows a similar format: intro, individual explanatory chapters on the science/theory relating to individual pieces of the jigsaw, application for gardeners. In this book, the science is both more demanding and more uneven between chapters. It includes a lot of technical terms which seem to be introduced for their own sake, not as a way of condensing or clarifying later explanations. Having never studied botany, I found that the bite size chunks had to be smaller and my attention more focussed. I was glad to be using the Kindle version, allowing back and forth to Wikipedia. The final practical chapter returns to ground and is very useful.
on 15 September 2013
There are lots of books on how to improve soil but few of them are as well written, clearly illustrated or as informative as this one. This book, combined with the earlier "Teaming with Microbes", should ideally find a place on any organic gardener's book shelf and rapidly become well thumbed as the information they contain is absorbed and put into good use.
on 8 July 2014
this is a perfect companion for "teaming with microbes" and a must for the organic gardener. It has greatly increased my knowledge of the whole subject of actively aerated compost tea (AACT) which if applied correctly appears to get amazing results. I was so impressed with the two books I have acquired the kit and will try it out.
on 22 June 2014
Read this in conjunction with Teaming with Microbes. Told me more about how plant nutrients are absorbed and transported than any other book on the subject. Concise, easy to read yet with sufficient detail to make it a useful guide for even the very experienced gardeners.
on 6 March 2014
Read this and never dig your garden again.
Even better, never feel bad about not digging it.
Best yet produce great veg with neither digging nor guilt.
on 6 June 2016
Bought as a gift for my husband and it has changed the way he gardens (I'm learning too). Our plants, herbs and veg are wonderful and it makes life much easier once you know what to do (and why you are doing it). Also enjoyable and fascinating to read.

Our garden is now free of all chemicals and we have abundant bird and insect life (compost tea on the go as we speak).
on 10 January 2017
Following the Microbes book. Again science explained in baby steps. I am reading this book for a second time and the complicated terminology is sticking in my brain. This Autumn I totally changed the way I run my Allotment. If you are serious about growing food ( or anything) its a must. Facinating read.
on 18 June 2016
This writer is a real expert in his fields whether microbes or nutrients. I do love both of them, a good reading and
enormous learning, sometimes unreally wonderful. I recommend Lowenfels' books especially to two of my children who are
farmers-to-be.
on 3 October 2015
superb; easy to read look at the eyewateringly intricate world of
function and health of plants, without which we wouldn't exist
on 26 March 2015
hard to describe how well put together this book is,, just 5 stars is the best i can say.