Customer reviews

on 11 March 2013
It has the appearence of a grimmore. But have to admit that the illustrations and etchings do add something to the book. Okay again I have to say do not go around poisoning people or think that a nice boquet of poisonous plants is the way to underline a vednetta.

I did learn something from this book. Does look at plants globally and how they are used. You probably will be suspicious of potatoes, tomatoes and peppers for the rest of your life. But hey live dangerously I say.

But still a good volume. Who is if good for? The darkly disturbed and isolated. Yes buy if for the gardener in your life. Again i recommend it as a stocking filler and not a main present even in these dark ecomonic times.
on 23 March 2013
What a gem of a find this was - another title by the same author came up on Goodreads. Searching for it on Amazon, I came across this. It is a lovely little hardback and the content is not only informative but entertaining too. I even found information on a plant I had been trying to remember the name of for years, having seen a documentary about its usage within tribes and also by Western society.

This book now just sits on the sofa with me as I like it to be within arms reach for a dip into at a moments notice. I shall be buying at least another one as a gift and I can't wait for the next, 'The Drunken Botanist' to arrive.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 September 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book, which outlines in a very readable way, how plants can be killers! The lovely thing about this every easy to read book is that it is divided up into mini sections which cover one of the hideously wicked plants, this means that one can dip in and out of this book with ease.

The things I love about this book

It is unique
It is entertaining
It is easy to read
It is informative
It is great fun

Recommended for all plant lovers.
on 28 August 2011
I bought this book just to gain a little insight into the more mischievious plants after doing some related design work.. I ended up reading it from cover to cover (when I should have been drawing..oh dear)it is so addictive and well written! I love the gothic cover design and the illustrations are beautiful and chime with the general feel of the book (it reminds me of a Victorian-era garden guide written by the likes of Capability Brown). Each plant and its attendant danger to us seems very well investigated and concise without being over-long. I think it would make a great gift for green-fingered chums or family, or simply to read for our own amusement and information. Buy it!
on 29 December 2010
I love this book. It is for anyone interested in plants or the unusual as it has a lot of interesting facts about plants and their nastier sides which I did not know in many cases. I like the presentation and think it would make an unusual but most acceptable book for gardeners and indeed anyone who has a thirst for information of a slightly disturbing but factual nature.
on 11 April 2018
Great book, great price, speedy service and quick delivery.
on 14 May 2016
Entertaining and informative but not as much as her other book 'The Drunken Botanist' which I read first. Covers a wide variety of plants from around the world with very nice illustrations and very good design. But it lacks a lot of the anecdotes, history and growing tips I enjoyed in her other book.
on 22 February 2018
Love this book
on 9 January 2015
Interesting and entertaining little book detailing useful information about known and less knon plants in a garden. Helps understand why you may sometimes feel itchy while gardening! A very useful handbook to read carefully.
on 8 April 2013
this book is really nicely produced and has just enough information to be interesting - a couple of pages per plant - without being dull! I like the pictures too, they're just really nicely done as well. top book, excellent gift for any writer of crime.